none
Hyper-V Gust Machine with Fixed Drive Backup using DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am running around 20 VM machine on Hyper-V 2008 R2 (15 Windows & 5 Linux). My all VM machines having fixed disk (VHD Allocated as Fixed Drive from Host). I have configured DPM 2010 Protection Group to take backup of all VMs running on Host. I have deployed DPM 2010 Protection agent on Hyper-V Host.

DPM 2010 takes full VHDs backup instead of used space. Let’s see I have a 100GB Disk (VHD) drive in an X Guest Machine. And X guest machine used the 30GB space and rest of free. I want to take backup of used space only by DPM 2010. So that my short-term storage cost can be reduce in DPM 2010.

Please suggest.

Ramdas Singh
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:14 PM

Answers

• To be clear, you need to use dynamically expanding VHDs for the virtual machines which is configurable through the Hyper-V management console and the VM settings not to be confused with a dynamic disk (volume) as set within disk management within the VMs.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

DPM in that config is backing up the VHDs. Having the disk in fix size make these vhds their max size. It's the usual DPM behavior.

Use dynamic disk size instead and DPM will be able to only save the used space.

• Proposed as answer by Melgendi Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by T FrankeModerator Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM in that config is backing up the VHDs. Having the disk in fix size make these vhds their max size. It's the usual DPM behavior.

Use dynamic disk size instead and DPM will be able to only save the used space.

• Proposed as answer by Melgendi Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by T FrankeModerator Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:51 PM
  • To be clear, you need to use dynamically expanding VHDs for the virtual machines which is configurable through the Hyper-V management console and the VM settings not to be confused with a dynamic disk (volume) as set within disk management within the VMs.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:04 PM
  • If the above suggested answer does not help in resolving the thread please re-open it.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:05 PM