none
How to Monitor Hyper-v Guests RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

How to I Network Monitor 3.4 Win7 Guests running on a W2K8 R2 Hyper-V Host connected by Fibre?

Cheers,

Cosmo

Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:54 AM

Answers

• Yes, I was thinking back to NM 2.x.

Thank you for your response and good bye

:-)

• Marked as answer by cosmo1 Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:40 AM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Cosmo,

With Network Monitor 3.4, you'd have to install Network Monitor on each Win 7 guest and tell them to capture data individually in order to capture all data between the guests.  Network Monitor 3.4 installed on the host would probably only see traffic going from guests through the host to the internet, but not anything inbetween guests.

You may want to investigate ETW capturing capabilities of the OS, but I'm not sure what they provide in the recent server editions for Hyper-V.  Paul might be able to chime in more here.

Thanks,

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor

Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Thanks Michael  :-)

Would WireShark offer my above desired functionality?

Lastly, I have enabled Promiscuous mode on my host NM computer, but I can't see where to add the remote NICS of the 2 remote computers I want to monitor? Would you know how to add these in?

Cheers

Cosmo

Friday, December 28, 2012 11:02 PM
  • Hi Cosmo,

I'm not familiar enough with WireShark to know what capabilities it has with VMs, but I'd imagine it's a similar situation as they install a driver in the network stack.

Promiscuous mode just captures traffic received to the NIC that wasn't originally destined for your machine (without promiscuous mode, the data's discarded).  It doesn't allow you to capture on remote devices.  There's no capability in Network Monitor 3.x to do remote tracing outside of using something like the at command to trigger running an instance of Network Monitor installed on a remote machine.  Maybe you were thinking of the special feature in Network Monitor 2.x?

Thanks,

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor

Friday, December 28, 2012 11:18 PM
  • Yes, I was thinking back to NM 2.x.

Thank you for your response and good bye

:-)

• Marked as answer by cosmo1 Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:40 AM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:40 AM
  • I'm not aware of anyway to capture VMs from the host universally.  The biggest problem is intra-VM traffic.  There is a section in our documentation which discusses what is possible under Using Network Monitor->Operating in Virtual Environments.

Paul

Friday, January 4, 2013 2:30 PM