none
Can't import Excel file into MS-Project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• This is extremely frustrating. I have tried everything and don't understand why something so simply is so time consuming. I have a simple Excel spreadsheet that I want to import into MS-Project. I open a new file in MS-Project, select the .xlsx file, select new project, select tasks, select the source datasheet, but then when I try to set up the Map, the excel fields are all blank. If I try to type in the field name, I get the error "The Field "" does not exist". I read somewhere that I need to set up a special template in Excel to import into MS-Project, but I can't find any details on the template. I checked my templates in Excel but I do not have any for importing to MS-Project. I have done searches for Excel templates to import to MS-Project, but found nothing. I have wasted many hours on this. If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful.

I am using office 2013.

Dave

Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:18 AM

Answers

• What a  frustrating experience.  I finally figured it out but it seems very buggy.

I could not see any of the fields for mapping in MS-Project because the worksheet name in Excel I was using had a space in it (what is this Windows 3.1?).  I actually ended up using the same format for the name as what is generated from the MS-Project export "Tasks_Table1".

The next issue I had is I could not get predecessors to work.  The problem there was the cell number format.  Although it was set to General, which was the same as the format generated by the MS-Project exported excel file, I had to set the format to text for this to work.

Seems to work OK now...

Dave

Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:00 PM

All replies

• What a  frustrating experience.  I finally figured it out but it seems very buggy.

I could not see any of the fields for mapping in MS-Project because the worksheet name in Excel I was using had a space in it (what is this Windows 3.1?).  I actually ended up using the same format for the name as what is generated from the MS-Project export "Tasks_Table1".

The next issue I had is I could not get predecessors to work.  The problem there was the cell number format.  Although it was set to General, which was the same as the format generated by the MS-Project exported excel file, I had to set the format to text for this to work.

Seems to work OK now...

Dave

Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:00 PM
  • Thanks Dave!   Concur problem was the Excel Worksheet can't have a space in the name.  
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:55 PM