Blue screen problem RRS feed

• Question

• My computer just started crashing at random and displaying the following issue.

Any advice would be great.

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
      OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode: 7f
      BCP1: 0000000000000008
      BCP2: 0000000080050031
      BCP3: 00000000000006F8
      BCP4: FFFFF80002A51E58
      OS Version: 6_1_7600
      Service Pack: 0_0
      Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\072610-28173-01.dmp
      C:\Users\Jarrad\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-1752967-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I tried a few of the things advised to other people with similar problems and it didnt seem to work.

Cheers

Monday, July 26, 2010 1:33 AM

Answers

• The minidump files show that the problem is most likely from ZoneAlarm.

The last crash was a DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4) caused by the vsdatant.sys.

The vsdatant.sys is a ZoneAlarm driver.

There was also a IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE (4a) Stop Error. The process that crashed was the vsmon.exe.

The vsmon.exe is a ZoneAlarm process.

There were also UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f) errors and a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) error. These errors also are most likely related to ZoneAlarm.

I would suggest to uninstall ZoneAlarm and see if the blue screens resolve.

You may then want to  go with alternative security software.

However, if reinstalling ZoneAlarm or other third party software, particularly a third party software firewall, and the errors continue consider installing the following hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981180/en-us

There is a link at the top of the article to request the hotfix.

Also, if you haven't already, "turn off" the Driver Verifier:

Start > type verifier in the Search programs and files box and press "Enter" > Delete existing settings > Finish

Also, if you wish to delete the minidump files you uploaded to Windows Live SkyDrive, go ahead.

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 3, 2010 1:16 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest go to test this issue in Safe Mode, Clean Boot and Device Clean Boot to determine the possible cause.

Device Clean Boot

=================

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

·         If the issue persists, would you please upload more minidump files for further research?

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Please send the ZIP file to us.

You can refer to the following link to upload the information:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

You may also analyze them with Debugging Tools by yourself. You can install it and it’s Symbol Packages from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Devtools/Debugging/default.mspx

WinDbg will tell you the possible cause. For more information, please read Microsoft KB Article: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging.

If no clue can be found, you may contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:08 AM

All replies

• It may help to look at the minidump files from the crashes with a debugger, so can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop

BTW, is ZoneAlarm installed?

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:55 AM
  • I have zipped up the files.  Sorry what do i do with them after that?  I have the full version of zone alarm installed.  And have scanned regularily for viruses.

Do I delete the mini dump files?

Thanks for your help.

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:40 AM
  • I have added the files to sky drive and hopefully you can help as Not sure what is going on.  It is even crashing occasionally in safe mode now.

Cheers

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:44 AM
  • The minidump files show that the problem is most likely from ZoneAlarm.

The last crash was a DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4) caused by the vsdatant.sys.

The vsdatant.sys is a ZoneAlarm driver.

There was also a IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE (4a) Stop Error. The process that crashed was the vsmon.exe.

The vsmon.exe is a ZoneAlarm process.

There were also UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f) errors and a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) error. These errors also are most likely related to ZoneAlarm.

I would suggest to uninstall ZoneAlarm and see if the blue screens resolve.

You may then want to  go with alternative security software.

However, if reinstalling ZoneAlarm or other third party software, particularly a third party software firewall, and the errors continue consider installing the following hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981180/en-us

There is a link at the top of the article to request the hotfix.

Also, if you haven't already, "turn off" the Driver Verifier:

Start > type verifier in the Search programs and files box and press "Enter" > Delete existing settings > Finish

Also, if you wish to delete the minidump files you uploaded to Windows Live SkyDrive, go ahead.

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:02 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest go to test this issue in Safe Mode, Clean Boot and Device Clean Boot to determine the possible cause.

Device Clean Boot

=================

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

·         If the issue persists, would you please upload more minidump files for further research?

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Please send the ZIP file to us.

You can refer to the following link to upload the information:

You may also analyze them with Debugging Tools by yourself. You can install it and it’s Symbol Packages from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Devtools/Debugging/default.mspx

WinDbg will tell you the possible cause. For more information, please read Microsoft KB Article: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging.

If no clue can be found, you may contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:08 AM
  • Thank you very much for your help.

I have done most of the above and so far so good.

One thing I realised after my last desperate post was that it only happened when I was connected to the internet.  If I disconnected my wireless LAN card then it would never crash.

Anyway will post again if I still have problems, but thanks heaps.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:59 PM
  • Have you removed ZoneAlarm?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:17 AM