none
Windows 10 admx and Windows xp

Question

• Hi All 

I have been tasked to test and get our servers ready for windows 10 and replacing our windows xp machines. 

The problem i have and i cannot find a definitive answer as someone on one site says one thing and another site says otherwise and i cannot have this going wrong on a live system.

My question is can i update and override the existing admx files that work with WinXP and Win7 with Windows 10 Admx files and our already in place GPOs for xp will be unaffected ? Since we have to replace theses machines one site at a time i need the ones already in place to work at least until we have rolled out windows 10 machines

Thanks in advance 

Thursday, March 09, 2017 10:14 AM

All replies

• > can i update and override the existing admx files that work with WinXP and Win7 with Windows 10 Admx files and our already in place GPOs for xp will be unaffected ?

Yes.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Hi,
    Updating/changing ADMX files has no effect on existing GPOs, your existing GPOs will continue to be applied/processed exactly as before. ADMX/ADML files are used for display purposes, and only within the GPMC/GPME and the GPresult/RSoP toolsets, they are not used in any way during the apply/processing of a GPO.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 10, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:41 AM