none
DNS - Release times RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

we have seen a few situations where a laptop has undocked and has picked up an ip address from the WiFi, indeed this is exactly what should happen.

What happens after that is what the real issue is. Apparently, while a network physical cable is plugged into the back of the machine it still uses the WiFi ip address. This does not seem to get released.

Anyone know why this might be happening? Our DHCP release is set at 8 days.

Regards.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hello czql5v,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

If you want your computer to preferentially use Ethernet connection instead of wireless connection to access the Internet, try this:

Go to Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Press and release Alt key to show the menu > Advanced > Advanced Settings, then move the Ethernet adapter above the wireless network adapter.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by czql5v Friday, April 5, 2019 6:36 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2019 3:04 AM

All replies

• Hello czql5v,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

If you want your computer to preferentially use Ethernet connection instead of wireless connection to access the Internet, try this:

Go to Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Press and release Alt key to show the menu > Advanced > Advanced Settings, then move the Ethernet adapter above the wireless network adapter.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by czql5v Friday, April 5, 2019 6:36 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2019 3:04 AM
  • Hi Leon,

while this is an answer in itself I was hoping to find out why it actually retains the Wireless IP address when we reseat the laptop to the docking station and cat 6 connection is available. It should be that the cat 6 connection takes precedence over Wifi and will have its own IP address. As I said the lease of the DHCP addresses are 8 days.

We still don't know why when docked after coming off wifi we still have the Wifi IPAddress...? Its a mystery to us.

Regards and thanks for the post.

Friday, April 5, 2019 6:39 AM
  • Hello czql5v,

coming off wifi

What is the specific operation? (Disable wireless network adapter? Or disconnected from the Wifi network?)

Can you please upload the results of "ipconfig /all"? This will be better for troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Leon

Friday, April 5, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner.

The situation is as follows. We are currently going through a Domain to Domain Migration. We are using Quest as the preferred tool for this purpose.

When we attempt to discover selected clients for discovery we get an issue with RPC server unavailable. We have narrowed this issue down to DNS. So, basically, what is happening - we have a wired and wireless connections. If a user is on wireless and docks his laptop to a wired connection he keeps the wireless IP Address and vice versa the other way.

This situation causes problems if we attempt to connect to the FQDN via Quest. The tool sees the client as a wired connection but with a wireless IP Address and is unable to communicate with the client laptop.

I guess my question is how do I find out the time it takes to release the IP address from Wireless to wired. The addresses are on different subnets. Is there a way in DNS that I can set a time when a client machine disconnects from wireless and releases the wireless IP Address?

Regards.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:47 AM
  • Hello czql5v,

Sorry to reply you so late.

I guess my question is how do I find out the time it takes to release the IP address from Wireless to wired. The addresses are on different subnets.

When both the wired network card and the wireless network card are connected to the network, the wired network card is generally used to communicate with the outside. (The default setting for most computers is that the priority of the wired network card is greater than the wireless network card)

Is there a way in DNS that I can set a time when a client machine disconnects from wireless and releases the wireless IP Address?

There is no such setting in DNS to meet your needs.

Maybe you can create a scheduled task: Turn off the wireless network card or turn on the wireless network card according to your actual needs.

Best Regards,

Leon

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:56 AM