Limit document library version, where is the previous version RRS feed

• Question

• My company's Sharepoint has lots of document libraries. most of libraries has turn on version control but no limitation.

Currently this site collection is over 100GB, I need to downsize the content database size ASAP.

So I setup to keep 3 major version, no minor version.

If some user modify a document, it will force to have only 3 version, my question is where is the previous document version, is it just disappear or is it deleted?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The number of versioned documents are stored individually in the database, hence the database size increase. The previous versions (subject to limits defined) will not be stored in the database.

If size is your constraint here then you also ought to think of switching off version to "not so important" document libraries.

hth,

-- techChirag
    • Marked as answer by David HM Friday, March 25, 2011 1:18 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The number of versioned documents are stored individually in the database, hence the database size increase. The previous versions (subject to limits defined) will not be stored in the database.

If size is your constraint here then you also ought to think of switching off version to "not so important" document libraries.

hth,

-- techChirag
    • Marked as answer by David HM Friday, March 25, 2011 1:18 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:29 PM
  • Hello TechChirag,

Thanks for your reply.

That means the previous versions will be deleted. It will not store in the database.

yes. I also setup some document libraries without version control.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:05 PM