Installing applications from Distribution Point RRS feed

• Question

• I've been doing a bit of Googling lately because we are having an issue with the client cache and downloading several AutoCAD 2012 files.  I believe this is due to special characters in the folder name and IIS (as per: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942076) because I am getting a 404 error on files in a folder that ends in "C#" and it's not seeing the # sign in the path. While I was researching this problem several people said "just install it from the Distribution Point", which sounded like a much better option all around, so I stopped troubleshooting and began researching that possibility.

So, back to Google and I saw several articles on how to set packages to install directly from the distribution point in system center 2012, but nothing for applications.  The same menus are not available under applications that are under packages.  The consultant that set up System Center told us we should stay away from packages as it is being depreciated and we should stick to using applications.

I see a huge benefit in being able to run the silent install directly from the DP instead of downloading 20-25 gigs of files to the cache and then executing them.  This leads to several questions:

Is this not possible with Applications?  Is there any way to "trick" it into working?  Was the consultant right about Applications vs Packages or should we be making packages for this feature?  Are there any good resources for information on Applications vs Packages?

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:39 PM

Answers

• There are still several reason why you should use packages. Applications are cool and very User-Centric but I still use packages for several computer centric deployments and also if we need to run the pacakge from a DP.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

• Proposed as answer by TorstenMMVP Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sethar Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:39 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:21 PM
  • To answer the question about installing apps from a DP, no this is not possible in 2012. No, there is no way to trick it.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:51 PM

All replies

• There are still several reason why you should use packages. Applications are cool and very User-Centric but I still use packages for several computer centric deployments and also if we need to run the pacakge from a DP.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:21 PM
  • To answer the question about installing apps from a DP, no this is not possible in 2012. No, there is no way to trick it.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:51 PM