OST file question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm new to the OST concept.  My past experience was mainly with the PST. 

I know if the OST gets too big and get unresponsive, we can either compact it or delete it from our local system and let it regenerates when we re-connect to exchange.

But what if those does not help? Do I convert my existing OST to PST as an archival and create an entirely new OST? If so how do I do that? How do I configure my OST to only download the new emails since my last archival? I do not want to download all emails since day one.

Thanks!

Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Jericho,

From your description, I'd like to suggest changing how much mail to keep offline via the Account Settings.

If you are using Exchange Account, see the steps below:
    (Note: The screenshots are from Outlook for Office 365, the user interface might be different if you are using other versions of Outlook.)

1. Go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings, double click the account.
    2. Under Offline Settings, move the slider to a desired amount of time, such as 3 months, or 1 month. 

You may refer to this link for more explanation about this. 

If you are using IMAP account, the setting can be found under Mail Settings:

In addition, as regards to reducing the size of OST file, hopefully you may find the article below helpful:

Reduce the size of your mailbox and Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by jericho jon Saturday, March 23, 2019 8:29 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2019 2:49 AM