Control Bits transfer in remote sites without DP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm working for a customer who has a lot of remote locations with a few users in each location.  Users are travelling a lot between locations.

The customer wants full bandwith usage when the client is connected to the LAN and a local DP is available.  If client is in a location where no local DP is available, bandwith usage must be throttled.

I know you can control BITS transfer by using different client settings and deploy them through a collection, but this mechanism is too slow. (>2h) (Heartbeat discovery to update IP info, collection update, client will check for new settings, client will apply new client settings).  It would be so nice you could create a collection based on boundaries :-)

I'm thinking to use a GPO per AD site to control the BITS transfer settings.  The GPO update occurs each time the PC is started.

Or is there a better way to do this? 

We want to avoid that a client will consume all bandwith in a remote location when office gets deployed for example.  I would like to know how other SCCM administrators establish this.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

Steven

Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:40 AM

Answers