Kernel-Processor-Power Event ID 37 even after Clean Boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have searched alot and didn't find a solution to my problem

Trials:

- Performed Clean Boot

- Disabled Intel SpeedStep

- Disabled NVIDIA PowerMizer

- Changed Windows Power Options (High Performance)

- Tried latest graphics card NVIDIA drivers, as well as OEM DELL driver

- Tried clean install of Windows 7 x64 and x86 and install only NVIDIA driver and Intel Chipset

- Disabled Network/Wireless/USB and most of the devices leaving only necessary ones

I have been running Win7 smoothly for a year and this issue occurred suddenly

The problem occurs when playing a 3D game where the CPU clock suddenly drop to 400MHz. After reboot the CPU clock is back to 2.2GHz, after starting a 2D game like (GTA2) or 3D game like (StarCraft2) it is a few seconds and the CPU clock is down to 400Mhz again and nothing fix it but only reboot !

Note: my CPU is running at temperature 40C~50C while the maximum according to Intel is 100C

My Specs are: Dell Inspiron 1520 Core2Duo T7500, 2G DDR2, NVIDIA 8600MGT 256M, Win 7 x86 and x64

• Edited by MHesham Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:36 PM
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 2:24 PM

Answers

• Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power Event ID 37:

The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 423 seconds since the last report.

I suspect that your motherboard has problems, may be in the power supply models. Please upgrade BIOS, also check if there is any motherboard related drivers in Dell website. If it does not help, contact Dell support to check hardware issues.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by s.mcknight Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, April 22, 2013 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:25 AM

All replies

• Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power Event ID 37:

The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 423 seconds since the last report.

I suspect that your motherboard has problems, may be in the power supply models. Please upgrade BIOS, also check if there is any motherboard related drivers in Dell website. If it does not help, contact Dell support to check hardware issues.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by s.mcknight Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, April 22, 2013 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:25 AM
  • I tried to flash the BIOS to an old version, the one shipped with the laptop, and no hope !
    I suspect some hardware failure, but the error is not helpful at all, maybe if I can know the source of the event it will be helpful.

Is there anyway to know which driver caused this event in the event viewer?

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:53 PM
  • hi,

this problem occurred to my system 2 days ago... and i don't know what i must doing know and i started to search internet for the good solution for it. if someone can help me here , i will really thank him/her...

with regards,

A.Hodgati

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:00 PM
  • Hi guy's,

question for you all... you see the event id as an error or as a warning?

Why you are concerned about this?

Event ID 37 is not an error, it is a warning. When you see this warning please also check the time, when this event was happened. Can you remember, if your machine was running on battery power at this time? If so, this is the answer. At least in my case, every time I get this event id 37 warning, I was running on battery... hope this helps.

ASUS M70Vm Vista ulti

Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:13 AM
  • Uzachi...i also recieve this in my log...and when I am plugged in...as it is itermittant and transient....I try to ignore it...but a log entry is a log entry...I am running an ASUS machine with intel  dualquad core parrallel  proccessors....the performance of this machine is remarkable and this event does NOT affect it in any noticable manner...but an event is an event...This has  occured only recently and has just occured to me that this is not a hardware failure...but...an action of ACPI...

The Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) specification was developed to establish industry common interfaces enabling robust operating system (OS)-directed motherboard device configuration and power management of both devices and entire systems. ACPI is the key element in Operating System-directed configuration and Power Management (OSPM)....The protcols serve a number of functions one of which is to extend extend battery life.

• Edited by s.mcknight Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by s.mcknight Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:05 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:00 PM
  • It seems that I get the same warning message on Lenovo laptop power performance model with 8 core during only the first boot. After reboot and update software, I can´t reproduce this error anymore. Bios and drivers are the latest.
    Monday, April 22, 2013 12:43 PM
  • I have a Toshiba Satellite i7-2670 QM Quad Core processore 2.20 Ghz with 8 logical processors, 6GB RAM, 750 GB HD, and running Windows 7 x64.  I have been experiencing this problem for almost a year now and have been trying to deal with it on my own, and thought I had it, but I guess not.  First, I thought it was because my laptop was dirty and was not cooling properly.  I took it apart and found a large chunk of dust between the fan and the heatsink inside blocking the airflow and the only way to get it was to take it apart and remove it.  I cleaned the entire inside of the laptop.  I put it back together and it did run a lot cooler, but it still had that same error code on all 8 processors. Second, I tried to upgrade all drivers from the Toshiba website.  They were all up to date except for the BIOS.  I updated the BIOS, but it still had no effect.  I ended up getting a nasty virus on my computer that disabled my firewall and Windows Update beyond repair and I could not fix it, so I had to back up and reload Windows 7.  I did a clean install of Windows 7 with the recovery disc.  When I was running Windows 7 with just the basic operating system and anti-virus (without Windows updates), it ran fine.  I let it run for a few weeks, and there were no processor errors.  They were gone!  I decided to run Windows Update to guard against future viruses and as soon as I did, the errors came back.  Right away.  I got tired of my computer dragging butt, so I wiped it back out real quick since I had all the stuff real handy.  I just loaded Windows 7 and put an anti-virus program on and then loaded my files whish are about 64GB.  I use Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus.  I have NOT run Windows Update.  My laptop has run great for like 4 months without errors where before it was like 20 times a day.  Now, I looked and it is doing it once about every 2 days.  It is there, but the frequency has dropped significantly.  As far as noticing the errors,  I do notice when they happen.  When I am using my laptop for something and it starts lagging and running slow, I quickly go to Event Logs, Windows Logs, System and I can see that several of my processors are in time-out.  I would really like to know why and what I can do to fix this.  It is really annoying and have tried everything without replacing the motherboard to fix this. 
    • Edited by Gearhead514 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:00 AM spelling
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:55 AM
  • I had very similar symptoms.  I troubleshoot low-level bugs and therefore tried all the BIOS and Throttling settings you see spoken about when kit grinds to a halt for no apparent reason.  The thing that threw me was that the processor was not being thrashed, yet the system (W7) in my case was running suuuuuuuuper-slow.

Eventually, I got around to looking at the event logs to see if there was any mention of throttling there, and saw plenty of these:

Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power Event ID 37:

Eventually the penny dropped.

The CPUs were overheating, so the firware was stopping them running at anything like normal speed.

Why were they overheating?

Because the fans were caked with dust.

Solution was a can of compressed air. 

CoreTemp util reports them now running at half of their previous temps, and the system is pretty much back to normal.

• Proposed as answer by kittaykat Sunday, October 12, 2014 6:37 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Even though this is an old thread, this may be a clue to other sufferers.

I also experience this on my HP i7 processor laptop only WHEN I use the latest HP Coolsense software in the ON position. I always have my pc in the High Performance mode for video editing and am convinced that this HP software somehow throttles the processors for added cooling. I am awaiting an answer from HP.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:14 PM
  • i am also having the same problem since only i installed windows 8.1, the problem was not there when i was running windows 7 but it occured only when i installed 8.1, and i have tried it on two laptops so you cant say that there is problem in motherboard, plz help me with correct solution, i think the problem is with OS config. Event ID 37 is annoying me keeping me from installing Windows 8.1.

sry for my bad english

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Hello Roninnwy,

i have the same HP i7 quad core machine and 8G of RAM ( a beast of a laptop) but all of my processors get locked down for at least 71 seconds and the machine is overheated. I have not cleaned the fans and have not updated the BIOS as they refer at the above.

can you please confirm if its the SW base or firmware.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:26 AM
  • i have the same problem (Acer i7 quad core machine and 8G of RAM) with event 37. Cant get to the bottom of it. Which has happened over the past month.

I will probably give it a good clean.

Saturday, December 27, 2014 9:34 PM
  • This is a known bug with Dell PowerEdge T320 Servers and Server 2012 R2 with a Intel Xeon E5-1410 v2.  In my case, it was happening randomly only once or twice a month.  The CPU would go down to below 0.20 Ghz and the server would crawl.

If your CPU has been tested and is not overheating, this is the workaround:

Resolution:  In the PowerEdge Bios, change the System Profile to Performance Optimized.  This will disable C-States and C1E. 

Update:  This also happened to another client T320 Server with Server 2008 R2 with an Intel Xeon E5-1410.  Multiplier would not increase from 12 and the server was running at ~1.2ghz.

Has to be a bug in the bios (both are up to date) the microcode of the CPU.  The above resolution works.

Friday, January 2, 2015 10:59 PM
  • Thank you Uzachi. I was not concerned, just curious why my processor was being limited. I was indeed on battery power when I received the warning. Thanks!

Hi guy's,

question for you all... you see the event id as an error or as a warning?

Why you are concerned about this?

Event ID 37 is not an error, it is a warning. When you see this warning please also check the time, when this event was happened. Can you remember, if your machine was running on battery power at this time? If so, this is the answer. At least in my case, every time I get this event id 37 warning, I was running on battery... hope this helps.

ASUS M70Vm Vista ulti

Monday, July 20, 2015 11:49 PM
  • Has anyone tried setting the "Maximum processor state" to 100% in the advance power options in the control panel?
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:15 PM
  • Seeing again this error when investigating common slow startup problems. I updated Windows and also checked is there difference between keeping Lenovo laptop in powercord or on battery - no difference.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:19 PM
  • same problem on asus n551jx switched power profile to power saving and max cpu states to 99% seems to of fixed it .
    Friday, May 13, 2016 10:18 PM
  • are you using intel cppc driver if so set to disabled in power saving plan set max and min processor state to 99%
    Friday, May 13, 2016 10:19 PM
  • I have an HP 17 inspiron with an intel core i5.  My OS is W10.  This event occurs every time I start up.  Four events are logged for processors 0,1,2, 3. 

I believe you are talking about setting the "Minimum processor state" to 100% for plugged in operation (The Maximum processor state is always 100%).  I have but it made no difference.  The  events are logged in as Warnings, not Errors.  I am not sure they are causing the problem.  I must admit  that my BIOS may need to be updated as a more recent version is available.  I may to forced to refresh it, if I can find no other cause for these events.  I do not have HP cool sense on my computer and that cannot be throttling the CPU availability to the processors.  I also am fairly sure that overheating is not the cause for these events.  So, I am stumped, but I keep searching for a reasonable answer.

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:22 PM
  • I am running HP Pavilion Notebook PC with i3 processor; The Flash BIOS and the Chipset drivers were recently updated to the latest HP supported version; the power settings are set to maximum (100%), and yet every time I reboot this machine, 4 warnings (not errors) are logged in the Event Viewer. The system does not appear to overheat either.

Any suggestions on what utilities  I need to run? Thanks for your feedback. 

Monday, June 5, 2017 12:05 AM
  • Some computers can experience minor to severe performance problems, or even freezing, caused by a slower-than-usual processor speed. This can be identified in Task Manager's 'Performance' tab, under 'CPU', or by Event ID 37, logged by the Event Viewer if the system detects a slow processor:

"The speed of processor X in group Y is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for SS seconds since the last report."

This is often caused by a feature enabled in the BIOS/UEFI, which eliminates the performance of your computer to keep applications and background tasks from overloading the CPU, otherwise risking of overheating the machine. Whenever an application or service uses excess CPU usage for longer periods of time, within no more than 30 seconds the system may trigger the firmware and attempt to limit both the CPU and processor speed. This can affect the performance and reliability of your computer because you don't want the CPU to overload.

• Proposed as answer by DanPinGF Saturday, September 1, 2018 4:22 AM
    • Edited by DanPinGF Tuesday, April 16, 2019 4:17 AM Rephrase
    Saturday, September 1, 2018 4:17 AM