none
Assign the same virtual switch to two virtual machines

Question

• I am using Windows Server 2012 Standard, and I need two virtual machines to which I want to assign the same external virtual switch, I configured the first one with the static IP 192.168.1.50 and everything was good, I was able to connect remotely through RDP, the PING responds and everything is perfect.

Then I started to configure the second virtual machine with the static IP 192.168.1.51; but does not respond to PING, it is not possible to connect to RDP and it seems like the IP was not configured.

I have disabled windows firewall, and since I am connected to the same network, there is no firewall that can prevent communication.

What strikes me is that if I connect to the virtual machine through the Hyper-V Manager, from there I can give PING to all the IP of the range 192.168.1.X, I can connect through RDP to other.

So what do I need to use the same external virtual switch or am I doing something wrong?

Regards and thanks.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 9:40 PM

All replies

• Sure, you can connect any number of guests to same vSwitch comparing ipconfig /all of both working and non-working may turn up something. If you disabled the firewall service then that would be problematic. Also by default ICMP (ping) would be blocked.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 10:56 PM
  •   Are these virtual machines clones?

My guess is that they cannot communicate with each other because their NICs have identical MAC addresses.

Bill

Friday, March 03, 2017 12:18 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

They are not clones, I checked the MAC of each one and they are different.

Monday, March 06, 2017 5:19 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I understand that there is no more configuration that must be done to vSwitche, since if it works for the first virtual machine, it should work for the second, without modifying anything, right?

Monday, March 06, 2017 6:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I understand that there is no more configuration that must be done to vSwitche, since if it works for the first virtual machine, it should work for the second, without modifying anything, right?

Please post an unedited ipconfig /all of both working and non-working.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Monday, March 06, 2017 10:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by John Lii Monday, March 27, 2017 2:05 AM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 7:25 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 27, 2017 2:05 AM