Uninstall VMware Workstation from Windows 10 10586.494 RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading to Windows 10 10586.494, Windows will not uninstall VMware Workstation 9. The error msg is:

I could do brute force uninstall; folder deletion and registry sweep. But I'd prefer an orderly uninstall.

Any suggestions? It's 3GB+ of space I can free up on my small SSD drive.

Please remember to: "Vote" if my response was helpful. "Mark As Answered" if I answered your question correctly. V/R, Darrick West - Senior Systems Engineer, ConfigMgr: OSD

Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Well the error appears to say the installer will not run as Hyper-V is installed. So if you right click start, choose Programs and Features at the top, then Turn Windows features on or off is Hyper-V enabled in that list? If so try removing it.

Hyper-V turns back on automatically after automatic update of Operating System this thread came to mind when I was reading this, not sure if it is relevant.

• Marked as answer by Darrick West Sunday, July 31, 2016 2:30 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Thanks, I thought about that after my brute force method, which was relatively easy if not long winded. But of course disabling the Hyper-V feature would likely have been less brutal. At some point I was going to do a clean install anyway, but that wasn't my immediate objective.

I've got to get caught up on Windows 10 features, I'll be deploying this at some point in the enterprise.

Please remember to: "Vote" if my response was helpful. "Mark As Answered" if I answered your question correctly. V/R, Darrick West - Senior Systems Engineer, ConfigMgr: OSD

Sunday, July 31, 2016 12:53 PM
  • Hyper-V is also integral to Windows 10 security plumbing now.

Sunday, July 31, 2016 12:56 PM
  • Well it sounds like you have options \ a plan forward. I have heard windows now virtualises the console to some extent (do you have any links on that?), but it does not enable any Hyper-V features bydefault. So I would say in the short term remove the Hyper-V features then the VMware installer should run ok.
    Sunday, July 31, 2016 1:50 PM
  • No, I'm done with VMware Workstation now that Hyper-V and the Hyper-V Manager comes with Windows 10 Pro. How cool is that?; although, I will miss the developer centric style of VMware Workstation.

Maybe I'll revisit VMware Workstation, but Hyper-V comes free and fits my needs at home, so I won't be paying for a VMware Workstation upgrade/full license anytime soon.

Sunday, July 31, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Haven't heard about console virtualization per se; although, Ubuntu BASH has been added. I'll need to read up on that.

Check this out: Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

Sunday, July 31, 2016 2:38 PM