none
MSI ERROR STATUS 1602 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I'm deploying a new version of our Anti-Virus using SCCM 2012. The problem is that the software is installed sucessefuly but I receive a error MSI error 1602 (que displays that the installation failed and ask for retry). The software is already installed but I still have that message. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance,

T.Bernt

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:46 AM

Answers

• You could use a task sequence to deploy the anti-virus update, with a step to first kill the application and then install the update.

Or you could look into the PowerShell App Deployment Toolkit: https://psappdeploytoolkit.codeplex.com/

The Powershell App Deployment Tookit can be configured to check if an application is running and if it is - i can stop it for you before the installation of the update.

But I would start by asking the manufactor of the anti virus software about supported ways of doing this.

• Proposed as answer by Jason SandysMVP Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by ToxPX Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:47 AM

All replies

• The MSI error 1602 Means "User cancels installation".

You could try to install you anti virus product manually on  a machine using the following command-line:

msiexec /i "C:\NameofMSI.msi" /L*V "C:\log\mymsi.log"

This will created a Windows Installer log file. Look through it and see if you can spot your 1602 error or any errors for that matter.

And are you sure that the anti virus software is installed correctly even though you receive the 1602 error?

I have seen this errror before in regards to upgrades - if the software was currently running on the target computer, some files would be locked for editing and the software exists with its own error code, 1602.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:05 AM
  • Hi there,

First of all thanks for the fast reply. It can be your second option. This is an update from version 11 to version 12. There's anything I can do to prevent this error? Or maybe I can do the deploy via task sequence stopping every running anti-virus running files on the target machine.

Thanks

T.Bernt

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:38 AM
  • You could use a task sequence to deploy the anti-virus update, with a step to first kill the application and then install the update.

Or you could look into the PowerShell App Deployment Toolkit: https://psappdeploytoolkit.codeplex.com/

The Powershell App Deployment Tookit can be configured to check if an application is running and if it is - i can stop it for you before the installation of the update.

But I would start by asking the manufactor of the anti virus software about supported ways of doing this.

• Proposed as answer by Jason SandysMVP Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by ToxPX Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:47 AM