none
IE11 ignores group policy preferences RRS feed

• Question

• Our image has IE10 installed using a customized IE installer using the IEAK.  Thus it has had the main district home page set as its default.  Nothing we have been able to set it group policy has been able to change this home page. 

We used to use Internet Explorer maintenance to change the home page at each one of our schools.  As this section was a policy, it took priority over the setup branding done by IEAK. Now that MS has removed Internet Explorer maintenance, we have tried using and IE10 group policy preferences. While IE10 preferences are supposed to apply to IE11, we have been unable to get it to change the homepage of IE11. 

I looked at downloading an IE11 ADMX template but only got an ADM.  I've very confused as to why MS is even distributing ADM templates these days but it doesn't look like it would add anything that my Windows 8.1 computer doesn't already have in its RSAT for 8.1 GPMC.

I'm hoping that IE maintenance still works despite MS's assertion that it does not.  Short of that, I'll have to make setup branding for each of our 34 schools, just to change the home page.  Has anyone had success with GP and IE11's home page?

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:37 PM

Answers

• I found out what I was doing wrong after a few hours of research.  Apparently you can enable/disable each part of the group policy preferences IE10 policy. For whatever reason, the home page is the only setting that was disabled on my computer by default. You can tell by the red line at the bottom of the text box containing the home page URL.

How do you enable/disable it?  The help button doesn't say.  F6 to enable, F7 to disable F8 Disable all on page, F5 enable all on page.  It turns out preferences will override what the IEAK brands.  So feel free to deploy an admin customized IE11 upgrade on Windows 7 or brand IE11 on Windows 8.1 and still use this preference to customize the home page.  I have a feeling that this does require you to disable the home page customization tab in the IEAK as that might override this setting. 

• Marked as answer by Mike Plichta Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:16 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

So here you mean you cannot deploy the settings in GPO name-->User Configuration--> Administrative Templates-->Windows Components-->Internet Explorer -> Disable changing home page settings ?

Please take a try about the policy above and then take a gpupdate /force, wait enough time for the group policy to update, and see if it could work.

Or we could have a try with IEAK 11:

Important URLs - Home Page and Support: Internet Explorer Customization Wizard

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn454897.aspx

In addition, please also take a look at the below articles:

Configure Internet Explorer IE 11 Home Page / Proxy Settings in Group Policy Preferences.

http://www.blackforce.co.uk/2013/12/04/configure-internet-explorer-ie-11-home-page-proxy-settings-in-group-policy-preferences

IEAK 11 - Internet Explorer Administration Kit 11 Users Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn454924.aspx

Hope this helps,

Best regards

Michael

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, January 24, 2014 9:23 AM
  • Let me try it this way since I have clear steps to reproduce the problem and the methods mentioned above don't work or are a poor replacement. 

IE11 is branded using the IEAK kit to have homepage abc.com

Group policy is applied to the user, based on location, to point to loc1.abc.com or loc2.abc.com, etc.  These are location specific home pages with local resources for the staff members.  This policy used to be applied through Internet Explorer Maintenance section where it would overwrite what is set by the IEAK.  If a user changed the home page, this policy would overwrite the home page again upon the next reboot.  I believe this is the case because Internet Explorer Maintenace is a policy rather than a preference.

Now that Internet Explorer Maintenance is depreciated, no policy method exists of changing the home page. Using only preferences in GP, I have no way of reproducing the behavior that I want.  If I put loc1.abc.com in the preferences section in an IE10 preferences section, it is ignored in favor of what is set by the IEAK branding. 

The only option that I see is to make 34 separate IE11 IEAK branding installers and apply the correct one to all the computers are each of our locations.  While this will work, it is way more complicated that what GP used to do for us. 

Monday, January 27, 2014 4:31 PM
  • It seems that our solution will be to not use IEAK branding. If you do not use IEAK to set the home page, you can then use GP preferences to change the home page. This is not a perfect solution because of the following scenerios.

1. A non-GP user logs in and is redirected to the default MS homepage rather than the internal homepage

2. A shared user account for the elementary students is used and one of them changes the home page.  It will remain changes until someone puts it back to the original page for that school, the URL of which is not so easy to remember.  We are aware of mandatory profiles and that might have to be employed to circumvent this shortcoming.

Monday, January 27, 2014 5:06 PM
  • I found out what I was doing wrong after a few hours of research.  Apparently you can enable/disable each part of the group policy preferences IE10 policy. For whatever reason, the home page is the only setting that was disabled on my computer by default. You can tell by the red line at the bottom of the text box containing the home page URL.

How do you enable/disable it?  The help button doesn't say.  F6 to enable, F7 to disable F8 Disable all on page, F5 enable all on page.  It turns out preferences will override what the IEAK brands.  So feel free to deploy an admin customized IE11 upgrade on Windows 7 or brand IE11 on Windows 8.1 and still use this preference to customize the home page.  I have a feeling that this does require you to disable the home page customization tab in the IEAK as that might override this setting. 

• Marked as answer by Mike Plichta Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:16 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:16 AM