Round Robin / Load Balancing UM RRS feed

• Question

• Our shop is a current Exchange 2010 shop, going to 2013 next month. In our 2010 config, we have our IP Gateway configured to point to a single 2010 UM server for voice mail that then goes to our mailbox servers depending on where your mailbox is located at.

When we go to 2013, we will have multiple 2013 servers all running UM cause of the new design.

Our IP gateway (Avaya Session Manager) cannot round robin between different IPs, so I need to figure out a way to load balance / round robin UM traffic so I don't get until a configuration where the gateway is pointed at a single 2013 server (single point of failure), plus also causing increased CPU / memory utilization on that single server. 

I know UM traffic isn't load balanced in the general sense like we do for MAPI / ActiveSync / OWA traffic, but what are my options for making sure UM traffic is evenly distributed across all 2013 servers.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 11:58 PM

All replies

• You don't really load balance it the same way going forward, set the Avaya to send the traffic to a CAS server/UM call router. Exchange will then redirect the Avaya to the appropriate mailbox/um server where the mailbox is hosted. Spreading out your mailboxes evenly among servers will thus ensure your load is distributed evenly. In the event if a CAS failure, the Avaya will need to be able to route to a second CAS at the least.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

• Proposed as answer by Satyajit321 Monday, November 10, 2014 7:55 AM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:05 AM
  • How CPU / memory intensive is that initial redirect the CAS role does to the mailbox server?
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:10 AM
  • It's not CPU/ram intensive at all, just a sip redirect to the fqdn of the mailbox server. The big lifting is done by the mailbox server.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:23 AM
  • Our shop is a current Exchange 2010 shop, going to 2013 next month. In our 2010 config, we have our IP Gateway configured to point to a single 2010 UM server for voice mail that then goes to our mailbox servers depending on where your mailbox is located at.

When we go to 2013, we will have multiple 2013 servers all running UM cause of the new design.

Our IP gateway (Avaya Session Manager) cannot round robin between different IPs, so I need to figure out a way to load balance / round robin UM traffic so I don't get until a configuration where the gateway is pointed at a single 2013 server (single point of failure), plus also causing increased CPU / memory utilization on that single server. 

I know UM traffic isn't load balanced in the general sense like we do for MAPI / ActiveSync / OWA traffic, but what are my options for making sure UM traffic is evenly distributed across all 2013 servers.

What are you using for a load balancer now? You could simply create a new pool/namespace VIP for port 5060/5061 on the load balancer and point the Avaya to that load balanced FQDN. Ensure you are have a valid cert with a subject name of that load balanced name that is enabled for the UM Call Router Service on each 2013 CAS if you are doing secure SIP ( 5061). That will ensure high availability for the intial SIP invites. After that, the SIP payload connection is made between the MBX server of the mailbox and the IP Gateway

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Satyajit321 Monday, November 10, 2014 8:00 AM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:47 AM
  • Nothing right now cause we only have one UM server in 2010. So it's a simple SIP trunk from Avaya --> UM server.

We have F5 BigIPs we use for everything else Exchange related.  I was wondering if I could use a F5 VIP, but I don't think this is supported.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:51 AM
  • Nothing right now cause we only have one UM server in 2010. So it's a simple SIP trunk from Avaya --> UM server.

We have F5 BigIPs we use for everything else Exchange related.  I was wondering if I could use a F5 VIP, but I don't think this is supported.

Absolutely you can use the F5. That's what I use with UM and 2013. Works great.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:54 AM
  • Are you using the Exchange iApp?  Or did you just create a VIP going to a pool of your CAS servers on port 5060 (we currently don't have SSL configured between Avaya and UM)

I don't think they have a deployment guide for that, would be curious to see what your profiles and things look like for you setup.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Just a VIP for 5060/5061 that includes all the 2013 CAS.  That's it! It works.

I would recommend getting the SSL setup ( certs) as well now if you ever plan to use secure SIP in the future.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:25 AM
  • Any custom TCP profiles?  Or just using default ones?
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:39 AM
  • Any custom TCP profiles?  Or just using default ones?

Everything is plain vanilla as far as I know.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:11 AM
  • Suppose we want to load-balance all the Exchange services with a specific fqdn and corresponding certificates (SAN) on Exchange 2013.

eg. owa.company.com, autodiscover.company.com, ews.company.com, um.company.com,...

For EWS, we use set-webservicesvirtualdirectory, for owa set-owavirtualdirectory,...

How can we make sure to use um.company.com as the fqdn for the unified messaging service (so Lync 2013 uses this?).

Set-UMVirtualdirectory does not seam to exist anymore in 2013.

Saturday, January 16, 2016 4:20 PM
  • Suppose we want to load-balance all the Exchange services with a specific fqdn and corresponding certificates (SAN) on Exchange 2013.

eg. owa.company.com, autodiscover.company.com, ews.company.com, um.company.com,...

For EWS, we use set-webservicesvirtualdirectory, for owa set-owavirtualdirectory,...

How can we make sure to use um.company.com as the fqdn for the unified messaging service (so Lync 2013 uses this?).

Set-UMVirtualdirectory does not seam to exist anymore in 2013.

Lync clients uses the EWS dir for autodiscovery. Users access their VM options via the ECP dir.

<EcpUrl-um>?path=/options/callanswering</EcpUrl-um>

When you run the  ExchUcUtil.ps1 on the Exchange side, it creates all the necessary permissions and gateways/relationships between Exchange and Lync.

Blog:    Twitter:   

Saturday, January 16, 2016 6:12 PM
  • Thanks for the info.

And how to define a specific fqnd and associated certificate for the connection from Lync to the Exchange UM Service.

Is this per default the EWS fqdn or can we specify a dedicated fqdn for UM?

Sunday, January 17, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Its all documented here.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676409(v=exchg.150).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn205140(v=exchg.150).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638120(v=exchg.150).aspx

The ExchUcUtil.ps1 script creates the "relationship" between Lync and Exchange. You dont have to point Lync at Exchange the same way you would if this were a 3rd party solution like Avaya.

On the Exchange side, you create trusted certs ( that both the Exchange and Lync servers trust). These can be 3rd party certs or generated from your internal CA.

You then assign the certs to the Exchange UM services ( UM and Call Routing) and add the Exchange Servers to the Lync EV Dial Plan.

Blog:    Twitter:   

Sunday, January 17, 2016 2:07 PM