none
User is receiving duplicate and triplicate of the same emails in Inbox

Question

• I have a user that has a fairly large Inbox, almost 47 GB. I've been archiving older email in PST, but this doesn't seem to resolve his large Inbox issue. We have observed emails being received as duplicate and triplicates, showing the same time, subject, etc. Is this a setting within Exchange 2013. Any reason why this is happening for this user?

Friday, October 13, 2017 7:50 PM

All replies

• Look at the headers of the messages to see if the messages are being duplicated by some external process.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, October 14, 2017 4:57 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, I know that you are meeting an issue that emails being received as duplicate and triplicates in a fairly large inbox in Exchange 2013.

To narrow down the issue, I need to confirm:
    1. Did all the receiving emails to the user have the issue?
    2. Did the problematic user get the issue both in outlook and OWA?

For troubleshooting:

1. Since the inbox is quite large, we could make sure the size of the problematic mailbox is under the limit configured in the mailbox quota settings. 
    2. Besides, check if there is a inbox rule with the rule action that move an email copy to the inbox folder. 
    3. Moreover, we could check the client IP and client host name in message tracking log by running: 

Get-MessageTrackingLog -MessageSubject <Subject> -Sender <SenderAddress> | fl ClientHostname, ClientIP

Best Regards,

Manu Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, October 16, 2017 8:29 AM
  • I checked Outlook and seems this occurred for older emails like years ago. Anything in the last couple of years, he does not get duplicates and triplicate emails. 

I haven't checked OWA since I didn't have their credentials, but I can check tomorrow since I will be working with the user.  I'll also check if there is any Inbox rule setup. 

So basically, this is not a feature of Exchange 2013. the user seems to think there was a setting in Exchange 2013 causing these. 

Friday, October 20, 2017 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

"I checked Outlook and seems this occurred for older emails like years ago. Anything in the last couple of years, he does not get duplicates and triplicate emails."

What do you mean by that? the old emails received by the users have no issue while the new emails have the issue? 

Yes, it is not an Exchange feature by default.

Best Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, October 20, 2017 3:21 AM
  • Yes, it appears that the old emails have the duplicate and triplicates and any new emails, that is not the case. We're trying to figure out why this has happened because the user's mailbox is around 45 GB in size. 

Monday, October 23, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, I know that you are meeting an issue that emails being received as duplicate and triplicates in a fairly large inbox in Exchange 2013.

To narrow down the issue, I need to confirm:
    1. Did all the receiving emails to the user have the issue?
    2. Did the problematic user get the issue both in outlook and OWA?

For troubleshooting:

1. Since the inbox is quite large, we could make sure the size of the problematic mailbox is under the limit configured in the mailbox quota settings. 
    2. Besides, check if there is a inbox rule with the rule action that move an email copy to the inbox folder. 
    3. Moreover, we could check the client IP and client host name in message tracking log by running: 

Get-MessageTrackingLog -MessageSubject <Subject> -Sender <SenderAddress> | fl ClientHostname, ClientIP

Best Regards,

Manu Meng

Hi Todo,

Have you checked if there is an inbox rule? Please let me know the result.

Issue occurs in any new emails, am I right? If so, we could move the mailbox to another database and then recreate the Outlook profile to test the issue again.

To move the mailbox to another database, run the command below:

New-MoveRequest -Identity 'problematic user' -TargetDatabase "target DB name"

Best Regards,

Manu Meng

Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:21 AM
  • Well, we discussed it further with the end user and we decided to go with Exchange Online Archiving, so we will be able to move a lot of their older email to a separate database. We did run a tool in Outlook to check for redundant emails and moved several thousand emails to the Deleted Items which a lot of them were duplicates. 
    Sunday, October 29, 2017 3:23 AM
  • Ok, any questions, be free to post back! 

Best Regards,

Manu Meng

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 1:57 AM