Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe RRS feed

• Question

• I have MSMPD Ver 17.0.120.1415   Every time I use it, UAC is invoked and I have to say "yes" to allow the program to run.  WHY?  It is a Microsoft product installed legally and I do not see ANY reason to have to say "Yes, I want this program to run"  every stupid time I run the program.  I know I can turn off the UAC but it warns me that it is "dangerous" and I shouldn't do that (my hair might fall out or something).

Running W7 Build 7100, 8 Gigs RAM, AMD Phenom II X4

Geezer
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:20 PM

Answers

• The only user is me.  I am admin so it should not be jerking me around.

I'll just turn UAC off.  The only programs on there are valid and mine.  Thanks.

Geezer

Hi Florida,

It's not recommended to disable UAC on the computer. I have two options(Run a program with high privilege without disabling UAC) on Windows Vista, I haven't test on Windows 7. Could you please test them?

Option 1: Run a program with high privilege.

==============

1) Download and install the Application Compatibility Toolkit from this link:

Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=24DA89E9-B581-47B0-B45E-492DD6DA2971&displaylang=en

2) In the Start menu, locate the new folder. Find the shortcut icon for Compatibility Administrator . Right click it and clik Run as administrator .

3) In the left hand pane, right-click on the database under Custom Databases and select Create New, and select Application Fix .

4) Enter the name and other details of the application you want to alter behavior on and then browse to it to select it. Click Next.

5) Click Next until you are in the Compatibility Fixes screen.

6) On the Compatibility Fixes screen, find the item RunAsInvoker , and check it.

7) Click Next and then Finish.

8) Select File and Save As. Save the file as a filename.SDB type file in a directory you will easily find it.

9) Copy the <filename>.sdb file to the Vista computer you want to alter the elevation prompt behavior on.

10) Click Start>All Programs>Accessories. Right click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator .

11) Run the command below:

sdbinst <path>\<filename> .sdb

For example, if you saved the .SDB file as abc.sdb in the c:\Windows folder, the command should be like this:

sdbinst  c:\windows\abc.sdb

It should prompt: Installation of <name> complete.

Option 2: Create a shortcut with highest privileges

================================

1.       Click Start, right click on Computer and choose “Manage”

2.       Click “Task Scheduler” on the left panel.

3.       Click “Create Task” on the right panel.

4.       Type a name for the task.

5.       Check “Run with highest privileges”.

6.       Click Triggers tab.

7.       Click New.

8.       Select “At log on” under begin task.

9.       Select “Specific User Or Group”. This ensures the task only runs at log on for you and not all users. Running for all users would be a security risk due to the program running under your User Account with Administrative Access.

10.   Click OK.

11.   Click Actions tab.

12.   Click “New…”.

13.   Browse to the program in the “Program/script” box. Click OK.

14.   Click the Conditions tab.

15.   Uncheck “Start the task only if the computer is on AC power”.

16.   Click the Settings tab.

17.   Uncheck “Stop the task if it runs longer then”.

18.   Click Ok.

19.   On desktop, right click, choose New and click “Shortcut”.

20.   In the box type: schtasks.exe /run /tn TaskName where TaskName is the name of task you put in on the basics tab and click next.

21.   Type a name for the shortcut and click Finish.

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, September 25, 2009 2:37 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:35 AM

All replies

• it is ok to turn off uac.  I have done it with no ill effect.  UAC is for users without a clue.  I get the impression you have a clue.  Dont worry.
    • Proposed as answer by DrX69 Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:50 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

Try running the Money Plus with a user having the admin rights or try Run As Administrator option.

Hope this helps:)

----------------------------
    Kala
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:35 PM

I'll just turn UAC off.  The only programs on there are valid and mine.  Thanks.

Geezer
    • Proposed as answer by bnc2 Friday, September 25, 2009 10:59 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:34 PM

Geezer

Hi Florida,

It's not recommended to disable UAC on the computer. I have two options(Run a program with high privilege without disabling UAC) on Windows Vista, I haven't test on Windows 7. Could you please test them?

Option 1: Run a program with high privilege.

==============

1) Download and install the Application Compatibility Toolkit from this link:

Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=24DA89E9-B581-47B0-B45E-492DD6DA2971&displaylang=en

2) In the Start menu, locate the new folder. Find the shortcut icon for Compatibility Administrator . Right click it and clik Run as administrator .

3) In the left hand pane, right-click on the database under Custom Databases and select Create New, and select Application Fix .

4) Enter the name and other details of the application you want to alter behavior on and then browse to it to select it. Click Next.

5) Click Next until you are in the Compatibility Fixes screen.

6) On the Compatibility Fixes screen, find the item RunAsInvoker , and check it.

7) Click Next and then Finish.

8) Select File and Save As. Save the file as a filename.SDB type file in a directory you will easily find it.

9) Copy the <filename>.sdb file to the Vista computer you want to alter the elevation prompt behavior on.

10) Click Start>All Programs>Accessories. Right click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator .

11) Run the command below:

sdbinst <path>\<filename> .sdb

For example, if you saved the .SDB file as abc.sdb in the c:\Windows folder, the command should be like this:

sdbinst  c:\windows\abc.sdb

It should prompt: Installation of <name> complete.

Option 2: Create a shortcut with highest privileges

================================

1.       Click Start, right click on Computer and choose “Manage”

2.       Click “Task Scheduler” on the left panel.

3.       Click “Create Task” on the right panel.

4.       Type a name for the task.

5.       Check “Run with highest privileges”.

6.       Click Triggers tab.

7.       Click New.

8.       Select “At log on” under begin task.

9.       Select “Specific User Or Group”. This ensures the task only runs at log on for you and not all users. Running for all users would be a security risk due to the program running under your User Account with Administrative Access.

10.   Click OK.

11.   Click Actions tab.

12.   Click “New…”.

13.   Browse to the program in the “Program/script” box. Click OK.

14.   Click the Conditions tab.

15.   Uncheck “Start the task only if the computer is on AC power”.

16.   Click the Settings tab.

17.   Uncheck “Stop the task if it runs longer then”.

18.   Click Ok.

19.   On desktop, right click, choose New and click “Shortcut”.

20.   In the box type: schtasks.exe /run /tn TaskName where TaskName is the name of task you put in on the basics tab and click next.

21.   Type a name for the shortcut and click Finish.

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, September 25, 2009 2:37 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:35 AM