locked
Lync Phone initial configuration issue RRS feed

  • Question

  • When we plug in a Lync phone for the first time (Polycom CX600) and tether it to USB, we enter the credentials when prompted. The phone then goes through contacting the server, etc. The phone displays that it's downloading the certificate, then loops back to the beginning of "connecting to the server" and tries to download the certificate again, and just keeps looping.

    I ran the Test-CsPhoneBootStrap with the user's number and pin and at the end of the command's output it says something along the lines of it not being able to download certificate chain. (I can update the actual error message when I gain access to the server again in a couple of hours...)

    -update: the error I'm getting from Test-CsPhoneBootStrap is:

    Error: No response received for GetRootCertChains()

    Also, just realized, it looks like it's trying to grab the certs from the old pilot Lync Server. I'm not sure where it is being told to get the certificate from the old server that's been removed from the topology and the network...

    It looks like it's initially trying to download the certificate over 443, but fails. According to my understanding, when that fails, the phone will attempt to download the certificate from the server over port 80. A Microsoft support personnel (tier 3) suggested something between the phone and the server must be blocking port 80. In my opinion, this could be true or not true. The ethernet port that the test phone was plugged into is on the same subnet as the server, and there isn't a firewall in between. The server has its firewall on, but port 80 should be open on it from the Lync Server installation. 

    Any ideas?

    Thanks for the help in advance..


    me


    Friday, June 8, 2012 11:26 AM

Answers

  • It was a DHCP issue. DHCP configuration was faulty and was telling the Lync phones to download certificates from an old Lync server that we already removed from the topology. I fixed that and it works like a charm now.

    me

    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, July 2, 2012 9:33 AM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:23 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    as you wrote, it Looks like the phone connects to the old pool?

    Have you configured your DHCP Settings for the phones correct?

    You can take a look on Jeff's blog

    http://blog.schertz.name/2012/03/troubleshooting-lync-phone-edition-issues/


    regards Holger Technical Specialist UC

    Saturday, June 9, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Please verify that your Pool FQDN & Webservices URL is correctly configured.  With Enterprise Edition server the URL is different, with Standard Edition the URL is the same?

    You configured all required items in DHCP?
    Please use DHCPUTIL
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412988.aspx


    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be -

    Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Hi,

    Have you IPv6 enabled on the Lync Front End server?

    Please try to run the Lync Management Shell as an "Administrator" by right-clicking the icon and run Test-CsPhoneBootStrap again.

    Please check if DHCP Settings have been configured correctly.

    Please also make sure the latest version of update has been updated.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131945.aspx


    Regards,

    Kent Huang

    TechNet Community Support ************************************************************************************************************************

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.


    • Edited by Kent-Huang Monday, June 11, 2012 7:03 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Hi eyesoft2222,
    Is there any update on the issue?


    Regards,

    Kent Huang

    TechNet Community Support ************************************************************************************************************************

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.


    • Edited by Kent-Huang Monday, June 18, 2012 6:55 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 6:54 AM
  • It was a DHCP issue. DHCP configuration was faulty and was telling the Lync phones to download certificates from an old Lync server that we already removed from the topology. I fixed that and it works like a charm now.

    me

    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, July 2, 2012 9:33 AM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:23 AM