Applying a style, then hitting CTRL-Z, reverts all styles to original settings and removes formatting RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a "feature" but what ever it is, it is costing me a lot of time.

I am working on texts that I have to standardize to fonts, sizes and headings that are not the same as Word's default style options. Therefore, I usually modify the styles of the headings and of 'normal' to suit my needs and then saves that as the default style set.

Sometimes, in the course of working, I apply the wrong style, and then, out of habit, I hit CTRL Z.

This reverts all of the styles not to the default I have set but to their settings when I first open the document. It also removes a lot of the formatting (so I can't just remodify the styles and change all the text that way, but have to first modify the styles and then reapply them throughout the document).

If this is a feature, is there somewhere I can turn it off? If it is a bug, could it be fixed?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:33 PM

All replies

• Since you have created a style set, you could just re-apply it.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:45 PM
  • As I mentioned, the style set I created is lost when this problem occurs.

I realise that I could also delete the shortcut CTRL Z to avoid habitually using it, but it's such a useful shortcut I would prefer not to.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:07 AM
  • I guess you mean that you modified the styles from an existing style set, then, because if you actually created a custom style set it would have been saved as a separate file with the *.dotx extension, and reapplying a style set via Home tab | Change Styles | Style Set (Word 2007/2010) is uncomplicated.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:17 AM
  • You're correct that I didn't create a new set, but modified the existing set. Still, it is not clear to me why undoing the application of one style to one paragraph should revert all of these modifications and remove the styles applied to all the other paragraphs.

Reapplying a style set would be a few clicks if the styles that had been applied to the paragraphs were retained, but they are not. Either they are left with no style at all or they all have one style, e.g. heading 1. Which style this is varies. New styles that I have saved myself within the style set (rather than modifying an existing style) disappear completely. 

Thank you in any case for the indirect suggestion, as after saving the settings as a quick style set it is now possible to undo the application of a style without losing anything and without having to reapply the style set.

Maybe it is as clear to other users as it is to you, however, I still find it surprising that modifying and applying several styles is a temporary operation that is entirely reset by undoing one application of one style.

At least in the online guides to using styles I referred to I can't find any suggestion that saving modified styles as a set is needed to avoid losing them in the process of working.

Thank you for your time and your help.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:58 AM
  • I agree that the underlying issue (with Undo) that you are describing is odd. I haven't been able to reproduce it on my system, though, using Word 2010. Looking at the Undo drop down, there are separate entries for applying and modifying styles. Which version are you running?

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:50 AM
  • I am having a similar situation as you described.

I was wondering if there is any resolution.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 1:20 PM
  • I am having a similar situation as you described.

I was wondering if there is any resolution.

Would you mind listing the exact steps you are doing when you see the problem? That way, reproducing (or trying to reproduce) the problem will be easier.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 10:23 PM
  • Like Stefan, I am unable to reproduce the behavior. Giving step-by-step of your "similar situation" would help in resolving your problem. I've never seen a single Ctrl+Z undo numerous changes to styles.

Understanding Styles in Microsoft Word

It would also be helpful it you would tell which version of Word you are using and what your operating system is.

What version of Word do I have? by Shauna Kelly

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:59 PM