none
Protectinbg a SQL server with DPM gives "(Protection-Switched)" message RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to protect a SQL server. After I set up the server in the protection panel in DPM I see "(Protection-Switched)"  next to the server. It isn't being protected by another DPM server so I don't understand the message.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:05 PM

Answers

• The message will not disappear unless you switch protection back to the primary DPM server. The switch protection option is designed for disaster recovery situations where the primary DPM server goes down, you switch protection to the secondary until you can restore the primary. After restoring the primary you switch protection back to the primary.

To have the new DPM server be the permanent primary DPM server for the SQL server, you need to inactivate protection of it, then use SetDPMserver on the SQL server to configure it for protection by the new DPM server, then attach it on the new DPM server. Now you will be able to add it to a protection group.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:50 PM

All replies

• Was the SQL server at one time protected by another DPM server? The Protection-Switched label indicates that is was previously protected by a primary DPM server and has been switched to now be protected by a secondary DPM server.
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Yes a while ago it was but it was removed from that served.I have been chacking it for a couple of days and exerything does look ok, I was just concerned because that message seemed to indicate it thought it was currently being protected by the primary DPM server. Will the message ever dissapear??

Thanks Steve

Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:09 PM
  • The message will not disappear unless you switch protection back to the primary DPM server. The switch protection option is designed for disaster recovery situations where the primary DPM server goes down, you switch protection to the secondary until you can restore the primary. After restoring the primary you switch protection back to the primary.

To have the new DPM server be the permanent primary DPM server for the SQL server, you need to inactivate protection of it, then use SetDPMserver on the SQL server to configure it for protection by the new DPM server, then attach it on the new DPM server. Now you will be able to add it to a protection group.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:50 PM