none
DPM2010 DPMsync restore failed. Deleted DPMDB. RRS feed

• Question

• Had a hardware issue which required a re-install of DPM 2010 (Done before on this box sucessfully). Rebuilt the server, patched and installed DPM2010 successfully. Restore the mdf and ldf file from the secondary protection as previously completed. 

DPMSync -restoredb -dbloc e:\msdpm2010.mdf as previously done. I received the following error.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>DpmSync.exe -RestoreDB -DBLoc e:\MSDPM2010.MDF -InstanceName ALAN-DPM1\MSDPM2010

DpmSync 2.0 - DPM database synchronization command-line tool

Copyright (c) 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Note: The DPM role configuration of this server will also be rolled back during

this operation.

Copying file from 'e:\msdpm2010.mdf' to 'D:\DPMDB\MSDPM2010.mdf.recovered'

Copying file from 'e:\msdpm2010_log.ldf' to 'D:\DPMDB\MSDPM2010_log.ldf.recovered'

Files copied successfully.

Database detached successfully.

Renamed file 'MSDPM2010.mdf.recovered' to 'MSDPM2010.mdf'

Renamed file 'MSDPM2010_log.ldf.recovered' to 'MSDPM2010_log.ldf'

Error ID: 471

Unable to attach the database. Ensure that the DPM database backup is valid.

Detailed Error: The header for file 'D:\DPMDB\MSDPM2010.mdf' is not a valid data

base file header. The PageAudit property is incorrect.

Since then I have been now getting this error when I try with another restored version of the same Database from a different path.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>DpmSync.exe -RestoreDB -DBLoc d:\db\MSDPM

2010.MDF -InstanceName ALAN-DPM1\MSDPM2010

DpmSync 2.0 - DPM database synchronization command-line tool

Copyright (c) 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error ID: 454

DpmSync failed to connect to the specified SQL Server instance. Make sure that y

ou have specified a valid SQL server instance associated with DPM and you are lo

gged on as a user with administrator privileges.

Detailed Error: Cannot open database "DPMDB" requested by the login. The login f

ailed.

Login failed for user '<domain name>\matt'.

Opening the SQL management tools shows that DPMDB has been deleted causing the last error. Just not sure where to go next as I can't un-install and re-install DPM I get SQL failures so it means a full rebuild to get it back to the standard state with DPMDB. How can I get DPMDB back into SQL? Is there an install script for that database I can re-run? 

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:57 AM

All replies

• Something else I should of mentioned is this server was previously upgraded from DPM 2007.  
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:09 AM
  • Hi mdgray!

Since you protected the primary DPM servers database with a secondary DPM server this is one way for you to preform a resotre. Though you must have a backup of the DPMDB for 2010.

After re-installed your primary DPM server and attached it from the secondary. Restore the DPM database for the primary DPM server from the secondary. Choose to overwrite the database.

You may need to run a DpmSync -Sync before you're able to open your DPM console.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Try this:

1.  Open Sql Management studio - connect to .\MSDPM2010 Sql instance
    2.  Check if a DPMDB is present under 'Databases' node. If yes, rename it to DPMDB2
    3.  Within the sql mgmt studio, Create a new DataBase by attaching files from D:\DPMDB\MSDPM2010.mdf and D:\DPMDB\MSDPM2010_log.ldf
    4.  Run
    DpmSync -Sync

5.  start dpm db ui - and it should come up - if previos steps succeeds.

Thanks,
    Arun

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Thanks Arun and Rob for your suggestions. 

I have tried attaching the restored Database and get the following error in SQL Management console.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

D:\db\MSDPM2010.mdf is not a primary database file. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5171)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.2531&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=5171&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:24 PM
  • It looks like the mdf file is
    1.  Corrupted or
    2.  Incorrectly copied (copy cancelled in between) or
    3.  A file in different format that is being renamed as .bak etc

Refer: http://www.articledashboard.com/Article/Resolving-Error-5171-in-SQL-Database/817391

You can try with another backup point from fresh.

Thanks,
    Arun.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:50 PM