Exchange 2010 - 2016 Co-Existence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guy's

i'm building up a new Exchange 2016 server besides our old Exchange 2010 server. The new server is in a different subnet, the firewall is configured with any-any to each other.

The old Exchange 2010 has SP3 UR22 installed, the new one Exchange 2015 CU5. Usually everything is working fine when adding a new server, but here i have a stange thing:

On the Exchange 2010 (Server 2008 R2):

• I'm able to run "get-outlookanywhere" and get all info's
    • I'm able to run "get-exchangeserver", but only received the old Exchange Server

On the Exchange 2016 (Server 2016):

• I'm NOT able to run "get-outlookanywhere", the shell is hanging and can't receive the info's from the old server
    • I'm able to run "get-exchangeserver" and receive all servers

In the eventlog i can not find a hint which get's me to the right direction. Does anyone have an idea, what could cause that?

Thanks for any feedback.

Best regards,

MArc

Friday, April 17, 2020 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi guys

i just saw this article which is exactly my issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2896472/get-virtualdirectory-cmdlets-take-a-long-time-to-run-in-exchange-serve

Do you know if there is a way to change that or doesn't it affect on anything else?

and does it work when running with that switch -ADPropertiesOnly ?

P.S. You should be installing 2016 CU16

Saturday, April 18, 2020 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hi guys

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2896472/get-virtualdirectory-cmdlets-take-a-long-time-to-run-in-exchange-serve

Do you know if there is a way to change that or doesn't it affect on anything else?

Saturday, April 18, 2020 7:18 AM
  • Hi guys

and does it work when running with that switch -ADPropertiesOnly ?

P.S. You should be installing 2016 CU16

Saturday, April 18, 2020 11:34 AM
  • Yes, it is working when i add that switch.

Also i have more information about the ad & dns. I have only 1 AD, only 1 site, but two subnets. The two old Exchange 2010 are in the old subnet 192.128.174.0/25, where we do not have any domain controller anymore since two weeks. The DNS Service is running and have the new ad servers in the subnet 192.168.170.0/25 configured as forwarding servers.

In the new Subnet 192.168.170.0/25 we have the two DomainControllers as well as the new Exchange 2016.

Also, i updated the ExchangeServers 2010 to SP3 Rollup 30 and the Exchange 2016 to CU16 and changed the DNS Servers in the NIC on all Exchange Servers to the new DomainControllers.

Sunday, April 19, 2020 5:10 AM
  • Yes, it is working when i add that switch.

Also i have more information about the ad & dns. I have only 1 AD, only 1 site, but two subnets. The two old Exchange 2010 are in the old subnet 192.128.174.0/25, where we do not have any domain controller anymore since two weeks. The DNS Service is running and have the new ad servers in the subnet 192.168.170.0/25 configured as forwarding servers.

In the new Subnet 192.168.170.0/25 we have the two DomainControllers as well as the new Exchange 2016.

Also, i updated the ExchangeServers 2010 to SP3 Rollup 30 and the Exchange 2016 to CU16 and changed the DNS Servers in the NIC on all Exchange Servers to the new DomainControllers.

Why do you have a firewall between two subnets in the same AD site?
    Sunday, April 19, 2020 3:56 PM
  • Hi Andy

that is by design configured like that as it is a transition to a new environment.

Best regards,

Marc

Monday, April 20, 2020 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

‘Run “Get-Exchangeserver” on the Exchange 2010 can only receive Exchange 2010 and run it on the Exchange 2016 can receive all servers’ is a normal result, you can also refer to this article:

And Get-OutlookAnywhere take long time to response and can’t receive the information from the old server, this phenomenon may be caused by your environment configuration, what about using the following command to check the result?

Get-OutlookAnywhere -Server <servername>

And you can also add ‘’ ADPropertiesOnly” parameter to receive the result successfully as the document you provided said.

Regards,

Vincy Cao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

Any update now?

If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer.

Regards,

Vincy Cao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 27, 2020 1:13 AM