LifeCam VX6000 microphone problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got this as a christmas present. While setting up the microphone I moved the volume slider because the display bar did not turn yellow while I was speaking. The sound bar then went blank, it appeared there was no microphone response. I then set the webcam up successfully on a different computer without needing to adjust the volume. Went back to the original computer, still no microphone response. I then went back to the machine it worked on, redid the setup of the microphone and now it is not working! Is there an issue with adjusting this in software? Or is there a hardware problem?

Regards,

Alan

Monday, January 7, 2008 2:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Alan,

Thanks for your post!

If you’re using Windows Vista, please download the latest software for LifeCam VX-6000, which contains updated driver, from the following page:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/digitalcommunication/DownloadResult.aspx?prod=VX6000&os=vista32bit&lang=en&driverVersion=LifeCam%201.4%2032-bit%20and%2064-bit%20for%20Windows%20Vista

Try to adjust the microphone volume using the software.

Besides, check Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Scanners and Cameras, if there are related options to switch on or off built-in microphone.

If steps above don’t work. Please let me know the system information, especially the operating system, the motherboard and the audio card(if standalone). Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:11 AM
  • hi Lionel,

i also am having problems with the vx6000 and vx3000.  i bought the vx3000 for my vista laptop and the vx6000 for my parents computer which has winxp (we downloaded the sp2).  at first the desktop user could hear the laptop user and the laptop user could not hear the desktop user, but both can be seen.  we each went into our tools -- audio/video setup and checked the speakers and microphone.  speaker seemed ok, microphone screen appeared good on the laptop-- yellow bar came up when speaking, and the video screen was fine.  On the desktop another microphone had been selected from the drop down, so we changed that to the "life cam", and this time neither of us could hear the other when holding a video call through windows live messenger.  what's the scoop, it's pretty frustrating.  thanks

Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:50 AM
  • Please help!! I bought the VX6000 webcam, pictures fine, but when I try to talk to anyone there is a bad echo and distorted voice. I have tried all the volume set ups and everything, moved the webcam away from speakers, still no change. Please help!!

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:30 PM
  •  

While I don't know about a laptop, one simple but possibly very important item to try with a mini-tower pc, is a different USB port.  I had my VX6000 plugged into an auxiliary port on my DELL flat-screen monitor (because it was handy and because my mini-tower is located too far away for the Lifecam cable to reach conveniently).  The video worked great, but the audio was nothing but loud, roaring noise and would not adjust properly with the software setup steps.

I spent weeks trying to solve the problem, thinking it HAD TO BE something I'd missed in the instructions or something that was wrong with my new DELL Dimension E520 machine running WindowsXP. 

In desperation one very fitful day, I tried a USB port on the back of my keyboard and, quite surprisingly, got a pop-up box telling me that port was insufficient to handle the device I had plugged into it and that it was intended only for use with a simple mouse! 

Not knowing precisely what that meant, I plugged the Lifecam directly into a port on the front of my mini-tower and immediately it worked fine - excellent video, excellent audio!!  Additionally, because the Lifecam cable was still too short for my set up, I found one of two USB 'extension cables' (male/female ends) that I have, works just fine to allow the Lifecam to reach the top of my monitor.  Please Note: the second USB 'extension cable' I have did not work with the Lifecam.  Hope this may help someone.

GrandpaN

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:57 PM