none
Journaling Rule not working on ALL emails on Hub Transport RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single Exchange 2010 Server, SP2.  All roles reside on the same server.  Previously, I had used the "Database Property" in each one of my databases, in order to journal emails.  However, we extensively use the SharePoint 2010 Foundation feature of "Email enabled Document Libraries", that are used for specific attachment storage.  To complete this, I created a contact on my Exchange Server that would relay the incoming email, over to the appropriate document Library on SharePoint.  I noticed that I would have to use a "Journaling Rule" in order to record this transaction, because the database property would not work for an Exchange contact.  However, when I created a simple, "Global" journal rule WITHOUT the "journal messages for recipient" checkbox being checked.  I still notice that all emails are being journaled EXCEPT the emails being relayed over to SharePoint.  What gives?  What am I doing wrong?
    Friday, May 31, 2013 1:28 PM

All replies

• What if you create a group and add that contact in there?

Sukh

Friday, May 31, 2013 4:54 PM
  • I tried this as you suggested.  I created a distribution group with a separate Exchange alias than the contact and I added the contact to the distribution group.  However, now when I send an email to the distribution group email address, my Exchange server doesn't even route it over to the sharepoint server.  I spent the past couple of hours trying to figure out why, since it has nothing to do with my original problem, but was unable to uncover an answer.  I thought I should just tell you that I tried though.  So no, it did not journal the email as the email didn't make it anywhere. 

BTW, Message tracker shows:  250 2.1.5 RESOLVER.GRP.Expanded; distribution list expanded

on the incoming email to the distribution group before it gets "lost".  It never makes a client connection to the sharepoint server.  You also might figure the message would be stuck "in queue" but nope.  Couldn't find it there either. 

Any ideas on any of these problems??  :-)

Friday, May 31, 2013 8:36 PM
  • - What happens if you send a simple mail from any of the mailbox to that contact? Does it deliver to SharePoint?

- What if you configure a simple transport rule to forward a message to that contact, does it deliver there?

- What if you set a mailbox instead of contact in Journal Rule, does journal message deliver in that mailbox?

Friday, May 31, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Can you confirm that you're using a Exchange Enterprise Cal?

Sukh

Monday, June 3, 2013 12:44 PM
  • The Enterprise CALs are reflected in the VLSC.  Is there something I need to do in specific so that the Server "sees" these CAL's?
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

Please do the tests suggested by Amit. I believe it's a good way to narrow down the causes.

Thanks,

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:08 AM
  • Nothing special you have to do..

Sukh

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:20 PM
  • - What happens if you send a simple mail from any of the mailbox to that contact? Does it deliver to SharePoint?

- What if you configure a simple transport rule to forward a message to that contact, does it deliver there?

- What if you set a mailbox instead of contact in Journal Rule, does journal message deliver in that mailbox?

-  I assume you mean 'from any mailbox in my organization'?  Yes.  However, I do have journaling turned on at the database level, so I am sure it will journal when sent from a mailbox within the organization.

- It delivers yes.  Remember, delivering is not my problem.  Its the  journal rule.

- Yes, now it delivers AND journals.  However, this  is not what I want.  I do not want to setup a mailbox for every sharepoint library that I want to construct in this manner. 

All I want to know is 'why is Exchange not journaling' something that I KNOW is touching it.  It comes in from the internet.  Hits Exchange, and it is relayed to the SharePoint server from there.  My guess is that there is something with the priority of transport rules.  Just a guess.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:58 PM
  • Do you create the contact or do you let SP create this, e.g

So, as I understand this, external user (someone@hotmail.com) send email to SP Doc Lib, and this email doesn;t journal if using a contact (confirm point above on how it is created)?

Sukh

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:48 PM