Sharepoint Admin RRS feed

• Question

• I have been added as a sharepoint admin in Offie 365 but cannot get to the sharepoint admin pages from the portal.  the service shows up as Access Denied stating the account Im using does not have permissions to access the page.

Note: I have put this in the sharepoint support forums, but it seems to get minimal response, generally lobbing question and answer back and forth once per day... was hoping someone here could help me find the solution in a more efficient fashion.

When I look at the admin page of the Office 365 portal, it shows many links and then the SharePoint Admin link, I can view my user account and see that I have been assigned SharePoint Admin, not sure what else would be needed.

Thanks in advance

Derek

Derek Schauland, MCSE, MCTS Active Directory | Microsoft MVP - File System Storage | Author - Training Guide Configuring Windows 8 MS Press | Technology Addict

Monday, March 7, 2016 2:53 PM

Answers

• You'll need to assign a license to your account for it to be able to access OneDrive, SharePoint sites, or the SharePoint admin site (as technically it's just another SharePoint site). From memory it can be set by going through the O365 admin interface, selecting your user account in the users section and then going through the properties.
    Monday, March 7, 2016 4:08 PM

All replies

• By SharePoint admin pages, you mean the ones linked to from the O365 admin center at the bottom left?

https://<tennant>-admin.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/online/SiteCollections.aspx

You would also require a license assigned to your account, i've seen that trip people up.

• Proposed as answer by croute1 Monday, March 7, 2016 9:52 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 3:25 PM
  • Yeah I think those are the ones... and licensing may indeed be the issue, we have an O365 Business Sub, which includes some level of Sharepoint / OneDrive, but Im not sure how much.  I was unable to determine if the sharpoint license option was checkable - it does not seem to be.

Derek

Derek Schauland, MCSE, MCTS Active Directory | Microsoft MVP - File System Storage | Author - Training Guide Configuring Windows 8 MS Press | Technology Addict

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Im thinking this might really be the issue, since Office 365 includes storage @ OneDrive for Business, which rides on SharePoint, the SharePoint instance needs to exist for that to work... the further SharePoint features however, may not be included... 

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:40 PM
  • You'll need to assign a license to your account for it to be able to access OneDrive, SharePoint sites, or the SharePoint admin site (as technically it's just another SharePoint site). From memory it can be set by going through the O365 admin interface, selecting your user account in the users section and then going through the properties.
    Monday, March 7, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Right, but the licensing has to support it before it can be assigned.

Thanks for the immediate response and guidance

D

Monday, March 7, 2016 4:14 PM