none
Import OS from network drive without copying it's to a local drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. The question of thread in it's name - is possible to import OS (wim file) from network drive without copying it's to a local drive? I have succesfully imported OS image, but MDT trying to copy wim file to the local drive.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi

Yes - the Wim file will be copied to the deployment share, and if this is a local drive then it will be copied.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:10 PM
  • So can I somehow import OS without copying an image to local drive? Or its impossible via network? Just curious.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:37 PM
  • It is possible to import a WDS image as an OS image.  That is the closest to what you want to do.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 4:50 PM
  • I have only LTI boot images on the WDS server. All another OS images were captured by MDT. Or I'm something miss?
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:50 AM
  • WDS is capable of importing more than just boot images. Do a search and you should find what you need. Here is an example http://m.sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/importing-images.html

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:19 PM
  • I have tried to import images captured by MDT, but in any case i'm get "the file does not contain valid boot images", while via MDT a deploying from an image going smooth. But anyway, thit isn't what I expected to hear.
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 5:23 AM
  • Nobody since didn't tried to separate MDT and images (operating systems)?
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:40 AM