How-To Monitoring SMTP Service on Win2k8? - SCOM 2007 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody

I've installed OpsMan 2007 R2 und Win2k8 Std x64 and imported several Mgmt-Packs (Win2k8 Base OS Win2k3 Base OS, IIS 2003/2008, etc).

On the same server running OpsMan, I've also installed the IIS SMTP Server which sometimes doesn't start after rebooting.

I've stopped the SMTP Service and then, I had a look on the alerts, but there was no alert in the console.

Unter Monitoring -> Microsoft Windows Internet Information Services -> IIS Role State, there's no sign in the colums "Windows 2008 SMTP Server" or "IIS 2003 SMTP Server", only in the column "IIS 7.0 Web Server" (which is "healthy")

If I run "List status for all IIS Services" of the IIS 7.0 Server Role Tasks, I recive the following output:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Task Output:

Output 
    Status for IIS Admin Service ( IISADMIN ) : Running

Status for Windows Process Activation Service ( WAS ) : Running

Status for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) ( SMTPSVC ) : Running

Status for World Wide Web Publishing Service ( W3SVC ) : Running

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The output must be obviously wrong, because I've stopped the SMTP service manually.

Can anyone give me some usefull hints to correct the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Fabio 

• Moved by Robert_Hearn Friday, January 8, 2010 5:13 PM posted to wrong forum (From:Cross Platform Solutions for System Center)
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:24 PM

Answers

• It looks like your discovery for SMTP isn't being successful.
    "Windows Server 2008 SMTP Server Discovery" to be sure it is enabled. 
    Also check the startup "Discover SMTP Server only if service startup type is automatic" if this is true and the smtp services are set to manual startup then smtp won't be discovered.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by f-boo Monday, January 11, 2010 10:44 AM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 6:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Fabio,  This forum is for cross platform (Linux and UNIX) questions for Operations Manager. I'm moving this thread to the appropriate forum in Operations Manager general categories.

Robert Hearn • Sr. Program Manager
    Customer & Partner Community
    System Center Cross Platform & Interop

Read the Cross Platform & Interop team blog | Become a Fan on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Read my blog

Friday, January 8, 2010 5:13 PM
  • It looks like your discovery for SMTP isn't being successful.
    "Windows Server 2008 SMTP Server Discovery" to be sure it is enabled. 
    Also check the startup "Discover SMTP Server only if service startup type is automatic" if this is true and the smtp services are set to manual startup then smtp won't be discovered.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by f-boo Monday, January 11, 2010 10:44 AM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Hello

@Robert Hearn: Sorry for choosing the wrong forum

@S. Halsey: It must have been temporary blindness! After changing smtp services to "auto", the discovery and monitoring worked perfect. For me it was obvious, that if I install SMTP Services, they will be on "auto" not on "manual" mode.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Fabio
    Monday, January 11, 2010 10:47 AM