Restoring the original Windows icons RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I was using Stardock's IconPackager to try and change my icons without having to manually do it one at a time.  Unfortunately, it resulted in many of my icons displaying as either the Windows Default icon or the "not found" icon that shows up if you specify a nonexistent location.  I've been able to get most of them back, but in particular  for some strange reason DLLs are now using a large version of the UAC shield and EXEs without a custom icon (such as some of the internal Windows ones) use the Windows Default one.  I have tried using sfc /scannow to no avail, in addition to re-registering my shell32.dll file.  Is there any way I can recover these icons without having to do a repair install?

I've checked Stardock's forums and this seems to be a common issue.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:45 PM

Answers

• v00d00man, I didn't miss your topic, I saw it.  The thing with your fix is that it's still adding values to the registry that override the default icons with a user-defined one (true, most are the same thing but it's still being changed by the user.  And as said by Stardock's support team, it hasn't been proven as accurate nor as a safe option.  Considering my situation, I'd rather not get into a situation where I completely have to reinstall Windows (I'm just about there just to be sure nothing else was affected)

Found the issue, there was an entry buried deep within the registry overriding the default .exe value.  All is well now... (and the non-Microsoft stuff I can just fix by re-installing)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:22 AM

All replies

• Just an idea - If you have recently installed the software, you may be able to use system restore to restore prior to having the stardock software installed.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:10 PM
  • I didn't have a restore point before then.  I only have one restore option from the last time Windows updated (last Tuesday) and that was after I had installed the software.  I was thinking about making a new user and getting the correct default options from shell32.dll (or wherever it is) and just replace the file.

I do realize I *probably* should have made a restore point, but I wasn't thinking at the time...
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:38 PM
  • You can try a new profile (not a bad idea), but the problem is they all reference the same shell32.dll -

jpag4947@gmail.com is my email - if you like I can send you a copy of my shell32.dll as maybe yours has become corrupt from the software.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:46 PM
  • I didn't have a restore point before then.  I only have one restore option from the last time Windows updated (last Tuesday) and that was after I had installed the software.  I was thinking about making a new user and getting the correct default options from shell32.dll (or wherever it is) and just replace the file.

I do realize I *probably* should have made a restore point, but I wasn't thinking at the time...

Hi

Creating a new user account may work, as long as the changes that were made did not affect the entire system. If the new user account fixes the problem, you could then transfer any important data from the old user acount folders to the new users folders. You could then remove the old account.

If this does not work, Windows 7 does support RUI (Repair Upgrade Install) that you could use to get the defaults back. To perform this, just insert the installation disk from the Windows 7 desktop and select the Upgrade install option. Make sure you backup any important data before performing the RUI.

let us know what you find.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by GregW17 Monday, January 18, 2010 6:47 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:53 PM
  • The RUI does the same thing as a normal upgrade, right? (no program settings are changed, most user settings are retained, etc.) I've heard it moves things to a Windows.old file, but as I already have one from upgrading from Vista x86 to 7 x64, I'd rather not inadvertently lose that...
    Do I also start the upgrade from within Win7 and then let it reboot as necessary?

Update: a new user account didn't solve it, so it looks like I'll have to do the RUI... 
    The irony, just after I had all my stuff re-installed and my iTunes library back... :)

Thanks for making it possible to actually do the RUI with Win7!
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:24 PM
  • The RUI does the same thing as a normal upgrade, right? (no program settings are changed, most user settings are retained, etc.) I've heard it moves things to a Windows.old file, but as I already have one from upgrading from Vista x86 to 7 x64, I'd rather not inadvertently lose that...
    Do I also start the upgrade from within Win7 and then let it reboot as necessary?

Update: a new user account didn't solve it, so it looks like I'll have to do the RUI... 
    The irony, just after I had all my stuff re-installed and my iTunes library back... :)

Thanks for making it possible to actually do the RUI with Win7!
    Hi

Yes, the RUI is just a repair of the operating system. Some settings may be necessarily reset to the defaults, but these are easily changed by the user. All of the third party software and settings is retained and not reconfigured.

As a precaution, you may want to disable the antivirus and any anti-spyware or similar programs that operate at a low level. 

The Windows.old folder is not usually created, unless a clean install is performed, but any files that have been modified may be placed in that folder.

You do want to make a backup of all your important personal data, to external media. Any time you reinstall the OS, there is the potential for problems.

Let us know how this works for you.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:33 AM
  • Okay, I did the RUI.  It's solved every changed icon issue... except for .exe files and interestingly .doc icons (Word 97-2003; .docx and any other form of Word icon work fine), most of which are still showing up as the blank default.  I did clear my icon cache by deleting the IconCache.db file in my local files, but no luck. 

I have a few stray ones working (Quicktime, all the Windows Live ones save for movie maker from the quick glance I took) and all other file types have their proper icons (except for .doc files).  Since the original unmodified imageres.dll file is now on my system (the file had been modified around the same time I attempted to restore Windows defaults and uninstalled IconPackager) I'm thinking it's something buried within the registry, which is something I've never felt comfortable with messing around in...

Just to add: the icons don't show up on my taskbar either.  If they aren't working in the start menu or Windows Explorer, they don't show up on the taskbar either. edit: since it seems to be just the random .exe files I'm thinking re-installing the applications will fix the problem. But I don't know what to do about internal Windows .exe ones such as tskill, or process names such as mspaint or psr (as opposed to the actual program name).

edit: if it is the registry, should I export it and upload a copy to SkyDrive?
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:12 AM
  • I have seen like 555 of your topics there about this issue, and they are annoying)) And im wondering how did u missed my topic with easiest solution with registry defaults for all default icons http://forums.stardock.com/370831 ??? )))

Voodooman
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:40 AM
  • v00d00man, I didn't miss your topic, I saw it.  The thing with your fix is that it's still adding values to the registry that override the default icons with a user-defined one (true, most are the same thing but it's still being changed by the user.  And as said by Stardock's support team, it hasn't been proven as accurate nor as a safe option.  Considering my situation, I'd rather not get into a situation where I completely have to reinstall Windows (I'm just about there just to be sure nothing else was affected)

Found the issue, there was an entry buried deep within the registry overriding the default .exe value.  All is well now... (and the non-Microsoft stuff I can just fix by re-installing)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:22 AM
  • U r wrong!
    Please check the facts first!
    this values are correct and accurate , they all was taken from backup file created by Icon Packager itself (which was just installed on system that never have had any altered icons) ))

There are default windows icons exactly as they are after installation and also few more 3rd party icons, that wasnt originaly set in windows by default (i mean these extensions was totaly missing icons and was not registered at all)
    Voodooman
    Monday, February 1, 2010 3:27 AM