updating wsus and wua RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

So I'm implementing WSUS here at work and I'm working on hub and spoke structure with one USS and multiple DSS. I belive the problems is that the servers running Windows 2008R2 haven't been updated in quite a while so the WUA is most likely outdated, while the clients are updated. I'm running WSUS 3.0 SP2 (7.6.7600.226).

Naturally the majority of the clients in are "Not yet reported". Doing the research it sounds like the clients WUA agent is newer than WSUS. I've tried installing KB2720211 and KB2938066. WSUS is still reporting as 7.6.7600.226 and clients are still not reporting in correctly. Am I missing something? I suppose I bite bullet and update all the servers but I would have to schedule downtime for that in the future.

On a side note, is it good practice to use WSUS to update production servers? 

Thanks,

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After install the KB2938066, please synchronize the WSUS server first, then check updates manually on the clients.

If the clients throw any error code, please post the windowsupdate.log here.

>>WSUS is still reporting as 7.6.7600.226

Please check the version of WSUS server in the lower right corner of the WSUS console.

>>On a side note, is it good practice to use WSUS to update production servers? 

Yes. But we need to create a test group to verify the compatibility of the updates.  A typical test strategy is to set up test computer groups in which the test computers are configured with the same applications as the production groups, approve installation only to these groups, and then verify that the applications continue to function correctly.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Arnold Louie Thursday, June 4, 2015 5:40 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:30 AM