none
Maximum 31 failover relationships RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question regarding DHCP in Windows 2012 R2.

From all the articles I have read, there appears to be a limit to the number of failover relationships that can be configured. Maximum being 31.

• Does anyone know why 31 was chosen?
    • Is there a way that this number can be increased?

Reason why I am asking is because I have a client who has 80 remote sites, each site housing a local DC running DHCP. This DHCP server is running in an active/standby setup with the failover partner being a DHCP server in the datacentre.

I require the DHCP server in the datacentre to accommodate for more than 31 partners. I want to avoid having to deploy two more DHCP servers in the datacentre to be able to support the remainder of the sites.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chas

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:06 AM

Answers

• We've previously had a split-scope setup where 80 sites had their DHCP scopes split between the local DHCP and the one DHCP server in the datacentre. I just wanted to maintain this same model but running 2012 R2 DHCP Active/Standby failover. I guess I have two options - setup multiple DHCP servers in the datacentre and split the 80 sites between these DHCP servers to stay under the 31 limit, or move from the active/standby model to a load balancing model and have 2 DHCP servers load balancing scopes in the datacentre. 

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Chas003,

Yes, 31 is the maximum number in DHCP failover relationship.

You may see this statement in the following article:

"The local/partner server already has 31 (maximum allowed) failover relationships. A server cannot have more than 31 failover relationships."

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn338982%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

As far as I'm concerned, On the one hand, this number may be decided by develop teams, we cannot change it; On the other hand, when we reach the maximum number of the limit, the performance may be affected, so it's not a good idea to find ways to increase the maximum number, instead, I would recommend to optimize your network structure.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 18, 2016 6:51 AM
  • We've previously had a split-scope setup where 80 sites had their DHCP scopes split between the local DHCP and the one DHCP server in the datacentre. I just wanted to maintain this same model but running 2012 R2 DHCP Active/Standby failover. I guess I have two options - setup multiple DHCP servers in the datacentre and split the 80 sites between these DHCP servers to stay under the 31 limit, or move from the active/standby model to a load balancing model and have 2 DHCP servers load balancing scopes in the datacentre. 

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:55 AM
  • Load Balancing mode means Active/Active Mode ? 

If so, what is limitation on DHCP Active/Active cluster Mode ?

Rgds, S Kannan

Friday, July 27, 2018 4:22 PM