none
Archive a 55GB Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Team,

A user within my company has a mailbox of 55GB size. We wish to archive all the emails as pst file.

However using the export as pst option created a file of 191GB (and counting) as a result we had to cancel the process. Is there any other way i could get this done?

Many thanks.

Travis, A+, N+, MCTS/MCP, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012

Thursday, April 11, 2019 5:46 AM

All replies

• Hello

Tip: check mailbox size:

Get-MailboxStatistics -Identity mailbox |fl total*

if export to network share try use local exchange disk/where have got enugh space/
    and check log with
    Get-MailboxExportRequest mailbox |Get-MailboxExportRequestStatistics -IncludeReport |fl

sorry my english

Thursday, April 11, 2019 11:37 AM
  • Hi Travis,

Did you export data from EAC?

You can also try to export mailbox data from EMS:

New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox AylaKol -FilePath "\\SERVER01\PSTFileShare\Ayla_Recovered.pst"

As a matter of fact, mailbox contains many recoverable items, so the size of export result will bigger than what you see in Outlook.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 12, 2019 9:35 AM
  • That does beg the question, why are you archiving the mailbox to a PST?  Is the storage space for the PST any cheaper than the space you're using for Exchange databases?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, April 13, 2019 1:47 AM
  • That does beg the question, why are you archiving the mailbox to a PST?  Is the storage space for the PST any cheaper than the space you're using for Exchange databases?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

If the mail is worth keeping, it should be on the Exchange Server!
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Hi Travis,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 9:48 AM
  • Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the feedback and follow up but i have tried the solution but does not work.

I am now attempting a solution that looks promissing however theres a downside.

I am using the search-mailbox command to query emails by years and transfer the emails to another mailbox, then export it after each transfer. This is the best solution so far however, th search-mailbox command supports only 10000 file at a time and that is troublesome. The command advises to use the New-mailboxsearch to obtain more option but the switches are not the same and i have no idea where to begin. 

I manage to obtain a command online, tried it but it requires in-placehold enabled. I dont require all that i just wana transfer emails that i can specified by years, an unlimited quantity to another mailbox where i can export it - simple

Anyone familiar with the New-searchmailbox command?

Travis, A+;, N+;, MCTS/MCP, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, MCSE 2016, MCTS: Exchange Server 2016

• Edited by Trav92 Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:37 AM
  • I want my email exported simple

Travis, A+;, N+;, MCTS/MCP, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, MCSE 2016, MCTS: Exchange Server 2016

• Edited by Trav92 Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:38 AM
  • Hi Trav92,

About New-MailboxSearch command:

1. You need to use "New-MailboxSearch" to create a new search request"

New-MailboxSearch -Name "test" -SourceMailboxes user1 -TargetMailbox user2 -StartDate "04/01/2019" -EndDate "04/11/2019"

2. Use "Start-MailboxSearch" command to run this search request

Start-MailboxSearch test

3. You can use "Get-MailboxSearch" command to check the status of this search request:

Get-MailboxSearch test

Here are my testing:

This command will use the name of this search request to create a folder in target to store the result of search request:

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Friday, April 19, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi Trav92,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:10 AM