Heading into May, and no word on Steady State RRS feed

• General discussion

• To whom it may concern at Microsoft,

I think it's safe to say, most of the 'posters' on this site are pretty tech savvy. It's insulting to keep telling us of alternative desktop lockdown measures. Yes, we know it's possible to lock down a public desktop using group policies, registry hacks and third party products. Steady State simplified the process for us, whether on the local machine, or using the Steady State template through group policy. What seems to be continually ignored here is the importance of the Windows Disk Protection. THAT's the part that is very difficult to replace; and it's the most critical component of Steady State. Numerous times, we've been able to tell librarians to reboot a machine and POOF! antivirus 2010 and it's countless flavors are gone. How can locking down a desktop protect the system from that?

John Schneider

• Changed type Sean Zhu - Friday, May 7, 2010 2:49 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:02 PM

All replies

• John,

Agreed. Yes, there are other solutions, Deep Freeze being one of them, but, as many have expressed, SteadyState was free. Some have speculated that maybe Microsoft is in the process of developing SteadyState into something else, etc... but these seem like nothing more than rumors at this point. Still, not having them officially address this, in either way is just poor PR. I feel bad for Sean Zhu, who has been inundated with questions from everyone even though he is not involved as far as any decision making is concerned (as far as I know) and himself doesn't even know what is going on. It would be prudent I think for Microsoft to at least talk to somebody about this - if not here, then maybe some blogger someone respects? Even a simple explanation as to why it is no longer supported would be nice. Did they sell it to some third party? Did they not want to deal with a free, 'overcumbersome' product? Were they losing money in some fashion? Leaving us all to guess is pretty sad

Philip

Complexity is the enemy of Security -- Steve Gibson
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:31 PM