none
Documentation on Backup Folder in The DeploymentShare RRS feed

• Question

• I ran into a situation recently that required pulling a backup copy of Applications.xml as ours seemed to revert to an out of box configuration.  The same week, while editing a Task Sequence, the MMC crashed when creating a nested If statement.  When I went to edit the TS again, it kept crashing the MMC making me think there was an invalid configuration.  Turns out the ts.xml was completely empty.  I checked for a backup copy and to my surprise, there wasn't one!
    This got me thinking about this backup feature:

1. What is backed up and what isn't?
    2. How does the backup process work?
    3. Can Task Sequences be included?
    4. Are there any configurable options (e.g.: instead of just 5 copies, keep 10)?

I wanted to read more about how this backup feature works but I'm having a hard time finding anything of value:

• Searching for 'automatic', 'backup' and 'backup automatic' in Help returns 212 results (158, 49 & 5 respectively), none of them speak to this feature.

• Didn't find anything useful in the documentation pack

Everything is about backing up machines and/or user data, which is not what I'm looking for.

Is this feature documented?

• Edited by JuliusPIV Monday, April 13, 2015 12:43 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2015 12:41 PM

Answers

• All \control\*.xml and \control\*Groups.xml files should be backed up.

Task sequence files are backed up as well.

It should keep the last 5 copies.

Any further analysis will require decompilation of Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn --> LoadFiles()

:^)

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 1:02 AM

All replies

• MDT doesn't have its own backup solution. I run mine on Server 2012 R2 and use Windows Server Backup with a external drive that's dedicated to Backup. I have it run every night and the last 63 backups are available, but that will vary depending on the size of what you are backing up and the size of the backup drive.

As for USMT, I'd recommend making your own XML file(s) and then including it in your CustomSettings.ini file, that way your situation won't happen again.

USMTMigFiles001=MigApp.xml
    USMTMigFiles002=MigUser.xml
    USMTMigFiles003=CustomUser.xml
    USMTMigFiles004=CustomApp.xml

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, April 13, 2015 1:38 PM
  • All \control\*.xml and \control\*Groups.xml files should be backed up.

Task sequence files are backed up as well.

Any further analysis will require decompilation of Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn --> LoadFiles()

:^)

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 1:02 AM
  • Oh yes, I see in \Backup\Automatic

Ha ha, I feel stupid. I hadn't bothered looking in there in a long time as I forgotten it's not a computer backup folder.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 1:16 PM
  • Task sequence files are backed up as well.

I see that its backing up the groupings of Drivers, Operating Systems, Task Sequences, Selection Profiles etc..

Its also backing up the list of Drivers, Operating Systems, Task Sequences, Selection Profiles etc..

But I do NOT see backup copies of the individual Task Sequences themselves.  For instance, I don't see XMLs for my Development or Production Task Sequences, or my software installation Task Sequences etc. 

Is this normal behavior or a cause for concern?

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 5:02 PM
  • *I* see backup copies of Task Sequences on my machine :^)

I believe backups are made when you open (or write) items in the section.

Try creating a *new* task sequence or modifying an existing task sequence to see if that forces a backup.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 5:25 PM