AppV Package is missing icon on start menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 60 packages in appv, and 10 of them (all by the same company) do not have the proper icons.  They have the generic globe icons instead.  How do I go about troubleshooting this please?

If I manually install the software locally the icons are ok, yet not when deployed through AppV.

It's only ones by a certain company.

Here's the error when I try and change the icon.

as you can see it's looking at the exe for icons, not the specific .ico file

default deployment .xml file

<Shortcuts Enabled="true">
            <Extensions>
              <Extension Category="AppV.Shortcut">
                <Shortcut>
                  <File>[{Common Programs}]\CompassCC\ProVerify\ProVerify.lnk</File>
                  <Target>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\CompassCC\ProVerify\ProVerifyLauncher.exe</Target>
                  <Icon>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\CompassCC\ProVerify\ProVerify.ico</Icon>
                  <Arguments />
                  <WorkingDirectory>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\CompassCC\ProVerify</WorkingDirectory>
                  <AppUserModelId>Compasscc.ProVerify</AppUserModelId>
                  <ShowCommand>1</ShowCommand>
                  <ApplicationId>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\CompassCC\ProVerify\ProVerifyLauncher.exe</ApplicationId>
                </Shortcut>
              </Extension>
            </Extensions>
          </Shortcuts>

Help!

Thanks

• Edited by GlenHarrison Wednesday, January 29, 2020 11:09 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2020 10:01 AM

Answers

• so it looks like the .exe file does not contain any icons within itself, rather the installer has it's own .ico file.  I'm wondering if this is somehow confusing the appv sequencer?  It's trying to extract the icon file and failing, rather than just using the one made available.
    • Marked as answer by GlenHarrison Tuesday, February 4, 2020 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2020 4:19 PM

All replies

• so it looks like the .exe file does not contain any icons within itself, rather the installer has it's own .ico file.  I'm wondering if this is somehow confusing the appv sequencer?  It's trying to extract the icon file and failing, rather than just using the one made available.
    • Marked as answer by GlenHarrison Tuesday, February 4, 2020 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2020 4:19 PM
  • Hi,

Check the icon path referred in Manifest.xml file.
    In an ideal scenario, the icon path should be same in both DeploymentConfig.xml and Manifest.xml, but in your case it could be different, so verify once.

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 9:17 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I figured it out in the end.  The company who developed the apps must have used terrible software engineers.  None of the .exe files contained any icons, and the standalone .ico file wasn't actually used for anything.  Strangley the installer put a randon .exe in a c:\windows\temp folder which was what the shortcuts were using for the icons.  Once I located this, I copied it over to the main install directory in c:\program files and manually recreated my own start menu shortcuts using the relocated .exe as the icon.  I scripted it all up and resequenced in it appv.  Now they are all working as they should.

• Edited by GlenHarrison Tuesday, February 4, 2020 1:10 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Arne Johansen Monday, February 10, 2020 11:29 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2020 1:10 PM