none
Removing/Editing WINS Server Record Owners

Question

• I came across a scenario which is not the way its supposed to be. For some reason a file server in Site A has 3 WINS records, all of which are owned by an IP address located in Site B. I am unable to change the owners because they are static and that option is grayed out. Is it possible to edit the owners via Power-Shell or some other app, or do i have to delete them and re-add ?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi peanutbrook,

Have a look at the website below for netsh WINS commandlets:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-xp/bb490946(v=technet.10)

Kind regards,
    Leon

Don't forget to visit my blog The System Center Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:55 PM
  • Thank you, Leon. It seems this wont be as easy as originally thought. That article told me how to do everything except how to change. Oh well. I guess my next question would be, is this as simple as removing the 3 records and re-adding ? Can i do all at one time or is there a best practice method ?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

I haven't been using WINS for a very long time, I believe you should be able to remove them and then add them all at once.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Don't forget to visit my blog The System Center Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

If you mean WINS records on WINS Server, instead of DNS server zones, you may try to manually delete the record, then, re-start record relate WINS client, then, relate record should be automatically registered.

Section “WINS Name Registration and Resolution” in below link:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/pt-pt/library/cc784180(v=ws.10).aspx

Also, on DNS server, right click Zone and click Properties – WINS, you can also configured and edit WINS record.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 9:13 AM
  • I have the same type of issue but in more of a large scale deployment. Most of the entries in wins tend to have old owners that are no longer serving as wins servers. if you just delete them and try to take ownership it will not let you and the records don't delete. Can you provide a specific set of instructions to get rid of the old owners?

Patrick Clark

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 3:46 PM