none
Write to Program Files folder RRS feed

• Question

• I want to add a program to the Program Files folder but it says I don't have permission. I am the owner/operator/administrator. When I try to change the settings, the boxes to "allow" are grayed out. :-(
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 11:45 PM

All replies

• Am 01.06.2017 um 01:45 schrieb Mary Mc W:
    > I want to add a program to the Program Files folder but it says I don't
    > have permission. I am the owner/operator/administrator. When I try to
    > change the settings, the boxes to "allow" are grayed out. :-(

Thats, because of UAC. You work with an UserToken. The installation or
    the copy job should ask for elevation

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Group Policy - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Homepage:  http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch

GET Privacy and DISABLE Telemetry on Windows 10 - gp-pack PaT

Thursday, June 1, 2017 6:58 AM
  • Hi Mary,

Due to security features introduced with Windows Vista (UAC) any non-Administrator program that tries to write to protected locations such as "Program Files" will get their writes caught and redirected to an alternative "user friendly" location.

Applications written with the assumption that the user will be running with administrator privileges experienced problems in earlier versions of Windows when run from limited user accounts, often because they attempted to write to machine-wide or system directories (such as Program Files) or registry keys (notably HKLM). UAC attempts to alleviate this using File and Registry Virtualization, which redirects writes (and subsequent reads) to a per-user location within the user’s profile. For example, if an application attempts to write to “C:\program files\appname\settings.ini” and the user doesn’t have permissions to write to that directory, the write will get redirected to “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\appname\settings.ini”.

This just isn't something we can't change. This is intentional.

You could refer to this similar case for more ideas, Mark’s workaround seems to be a feasible method.

Can't Write to Program Files folder

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7b3ada32-181d-4c55-9259-ee44f5f83b82/cant-write-to-program-files-folder?forum=w8itprogeneral

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 2, 2017 1:56 AM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 2:39 AM