none
Install From Network without Local Admin Permissions

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm attempting to give my users the ability to install a very specific list of programs from the "Install a program from the network" list. They currently do not have the ability to install anything themselves and this will not change. Everything is working great, except when the program starts installing I get the "you must be an admin to install this..." message. Is there a way to allow users to install the programs in this list without changing their current permission level?

I've searched high and low, but I can't find any solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Mike

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:47 PM

Answers

• Hello,

software installation requires admin permissions on the local computer. There are less programs that are not require this.

In your case think about using Software installation with GPOs instead and that way you can assign specific software to users or computers and that way it will install fine WITHOUT local admin permission.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber

MVP, MCP, MCTS

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: http://blogs.msmvps.com/MWeber

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Twitter:  

Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

>>Is there a way to allow users to install the programs in this list without changing their current permission level?

Meinolf is right. Local admin privileges are needed to allow standard user accounts to install software on computers.

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hello,

software installation requires admin permissions on the local computer. There are less programs that are not require this.

In your case think about using Software installation with GPOs instead and that way you can assign specific software to users or computers and that way it will install fine WITHOUT local admin permission.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber

MVP, MCP, MCTS

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: http://blogs.msmvps.com/MWeber

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Twitter:  

Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

>>Is there a way to allow users to install the programs in this list without changing their current permission level?

Meinolf is right. Local admin privileges are needed to allow standard user accounts to install software on computers.

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:54 AM