none
MDT - Task Sequence Order RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i am using the latest version of MDT.

I have in my task-sequence overview folders and task-sequences.

Now i want a specific task-sequence on TOP of the list above all other folders and Task-sequences.

I have tried this in tasksequences.xml and tasksequencgroups.xml without result.

Anybody know how to achieve this?

Thx

• Edited by Mvd12345 Tuesday, January 15, 2019 11:29 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2019 11:10 AM

All replies

• The task sequences display in the order in which they are created in the deployment workbench. Create another task sequence folder then cut and paste the existing ones to it (leave the one you want at the top.) Repeat until you have them in the order you desire.
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:23 PM
  • The task sequences display in the order in which they are created in the deployment workbench. 

In my experience, they are displayed in alphabetical order with folders on top, regardless of creation order.

Regardless, to change the default sorting behavior, you need to edit ZTIConfigFile.vbs and modify the BuildHTML_Folder and/or BuildHTML_Element functions.

If you aren't very good with VBS, I don't recommend touching these files.  If you do change them, then document your changes because the files will be overwritten during upgrades, and you'll need to reapply those changes.

-Tony

Saturday, February 2, 2019 7:14 AM
  • In the left column it will display in order they are created. Everything gets added to an XML file so it can not be ordered by alphabet. It is a real pain. However you can select a top level folder such as Applications and on the right hand side then sort it but it will not stay that way. The only option would be as described above. Exit the xml.

I am not sure of what Tony describes but I will check it out.

Monday, February 4, 2019 10:45 PM
  • I may have misread the original question.

In my previous response, I was referring to the display order of the task sequences when booting off the ISO. If you are referring to the ordering of folders in the MMC, then my comments do not apply.

-Tony

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 12:32 AM
  • You may want to check out this script.  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2012/03/08/mdt-2012-new-feature-item-sorting/

It still works as of 8450.  I haven't tested the new MDT.

/BG

-BrianG (http://supportishere.com)

Monday, February 11, 2019 4:46 PM