none
Can a Search Service Application be configured on a single-server 2016 test farm?

Answers

• Unfortunately, I had to remove this test farm for completely unrelated reasons, so there won't be any way to follow-up or verify anything.

Thanks to all who joined in.

David

David

Thursday, February 08, 2018 6:35 PM

All replies

• You can use Custom or SingleServerFarm and deploy an SSA.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 4:18 PM
  • Thanks.

I was using the code from your book, but it's not working. Could not find an errata page on Apress.com.

When I try to submit the cloned topology, it can't find the Host Controller.

And the Query component does not show on the Search Admin screen.

David

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 5:15 PM
  • Are you using SingleServerFarm or Custom? I've deployed this on Custom via PoSh successfully a few times.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 5:17 PM
  • Single server farm. It's a test farm for practice.

My future production farm will be shared minroles.

David

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 5:19 PM
  • Try switching to Custom. Obviously that script (https://github.com/Apress/deploying-sharepoint-2016/blob/master/Ch03/Ch03/CreateSearchServiceApplication.ps1) is for a 2 server farm and cannot be directly used with a single server, but it is adaptable to a single server.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 5:23 PM
  • I have successfully deployed search SA in my lab on a single server (custom mode) with my PoSh.

I use two distinct account. One for Search application pool, and one for the Content Crawling (the one you see automatically addedd in policy of all web applications).

You can also customize index folder path (create folder before running script with proper permissions, see note in script). Best to use secondary disk in production.

Adjust to your needs

Enjoy

Matteo

#######################################
    # Create Search Service Application   #
    # Farm Mono Server                    #
    #######################################

### Adjust variables below ###
    New-SPServiceApplicationPool -Name "SharePoint Search Service" -Account DOMINIO\SVC_SPSearch
    $dbprefix = "SP16" #2016_SP
    $searchapppool = Get-SPServiceApplicationPool "SharePoint Search Service"
    $Server = "LABSP2016"
    ##############################

$Instance = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance -Identity $Server 

## Start Search Service Instances
    Start-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance $Server
    Start-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryAndSiteSettingsServiceInstance $Server
    start-sleep 20 #wait for provision to finish, then check status is online
    Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance | ft server,status
    Get-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryAndSiteSettingsServiceInstance | ft server,status

# Create the Search Service Application and Proxy
    Write-Host "Creating Search Service Application and Proxy..."
    $searchServiceApp = New-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -Name "Search Service" -ApplicationPool $searchapppool -DatabaseName "$($dbprefix)_SVC_Search"
    $searchProxy = New-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplicationProxy -Name "Search Service" -SearchApplication $searchServiceApp

# Clone the default Topology (which is empty) and create a new one and then activate it
    $clone = $searchServiceApp.ActiveTopology.Clone()

$PrimaryIndexLocation = "C:\INDEX" #use secondary disk in production env.
    # Create new Folder and grant WSS_WPG local groups Read/Write to new INDEX FOLDER
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchAdminComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $Instance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchContentProcessingComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $Instance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchAnalyticsProcessingComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $Instance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchCrawlComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $Instance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryProcessingComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $Instance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchIndexComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $Instance -RootDirectory $PrimaryIndexLocation -IndexPartition 0
    $clone.Activate()

# Remove inactive topology, let's do some cleaning
    $searchServiceApp | Get-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology | Where-Object {$_.State -eq "Inactive"} | Remove-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -Confirm:$false

# Change Default content access account
    Set-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -Identity "Search Service" -DefaultContentAccessAccountName LABMM\SVC_SPContent -DefaultContentAccessAccountPassword (Read-Host -AsSecureString " type password for LABMM\SVC_SPContent")

Saturday, January 06, 2018 9:02 PM
  • As a full script, this does not work for me.

Running one line at-a-time, it works up to the clone activation.

$clone.Activate() fails.

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -Identity $clone also fails (same error).

Error: Exception calling "Activate" with "0" argument(s). Could not connect to the HostController service.

Well, the SharePoint Search Host Controller service is started and running (services.msc). No problems observed with the service account. Databases are all created fine.

The topology clone contains all of the appropriate components, it just won't activate.

Suggestions, please?

David

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 1:56 PM
  • Follow-on:

Checked firewall rule for port 808, no change.

Error in Event log (Application):

"A call to SSPI failed" (for the farm account)

NTLM, HTTP

David

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 5:45 PM
  • Hi David,

Go to Central Administration > Security > Configure Service Accounts, changed the Service Account assigned to the Search Host Controller Service, to the SharePoint Farm Account. Then use this account to run activating PowerShell.

For the “ A call to SSPI failed” error, it might be SharePoint unable to reach a DC, check the connection between tSharePoint Server and the Domain Controller

Besides, here is a similar post for your reference:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/bkr_sharepoint/2014/06/09/sharepoint-2013-search-topology-activation-error-unable-to-retrieve-topology-component-health-states-this-may-be-because-of-the-admin-component-is-not-up-and-running/

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:13 AM
  • Did as requested.

Script failed again. Same error.

Running one line-at-a-time failed again. Same error.

David

Friday, January 12, 2018 4:07 PM
  • Hi David,

Please check the ULS log to get more detailed information about your issue. ULS log is at:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\16\LOGS

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 15, 2018 9:44 AM
  • Unfortunately, I had to remove this test farm for completely unrelated reasons, so there won't be any way to follow-up or verify anything.

Thanks to all who joined in.

David

David

Thursday, February 08, 2018 6:35 PM