none
Extremely High RPC activity was found on server - Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Environment:

Exchange 2007 SP3 rollup 11, Single server running everything (mailbox,cas,hub), OS is Server 2008 Standard, 4 CPUs and 14GB memory.  about 300 users with average mailbox size of 700MB.  Many users are using ActiveSync on phones/devices. 3 storage groups with 1 database in each group.

Issue:

Have a number of users that have been mentioning slowdowns when using outlook.  They will go to send a message and Outlook will hang for a period of time with the spinning icon. Sometimes it is a few seconds and sometimes up to a minute.  Just navigating around in Outlook, such as going to different folders can cause this issue to occur.  Also, sometimes Outlook will pop up the message that it is "trying to connect to exchange server..".  I have recently experienced this issue on my machine as well.  It does not happen constantly, but enough so that people notice.

To troubleshoot, I just ran the Exchange Performance Troubleshooter and received the error:

• Extremely High RPC activity was found on server
    • The report lists "Unusually High User activity detected - RPC Operations per second rates indicate a user or users on this server are unusually active."
    • Then under performance issues it has "High User RPC activity" and it lists the RPC operations per second per user at 1.4

The troubleshooter lists everything else as fine: no CPU, memory, or disk bottlenecks. No network issues reported.

For recommendations, it says to move users to another server.  This is not possible.

Questions:

1. How can I go about troubleshooting this to isolate the specific RPC problem?

2. I have run ExMon as I saw suggested somewhere and it updates every minute.  The users appear to constantly change.  I don't see any one user or group of users that seem to stick out.  What else can I do with ExMon?

3. If I open the Performance Monitor from the Exchange Console, all of the RPC counters appear to be steady at 1-5 on the vertical scale.  Shouldn't I be seeing some spikes via these counters?

I am very new to troubleshooting performance issues with Exchange and could really use some help here.

thanks

Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, I’d like to say, it’s recommended to use cached mode in Outlook, which can reduce the performance issue. And here are my answers you can refer to:

1.Check your application log and find if there is 9646 error. And you can also refer to the following article: http://smallbusiness.support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/kb/174701

2.ExMon just enables administrators to view and analyze how individual users affect the health and performance of an Exchange server, including CPU usage and network traffic. It also .enables administrators to view and analyze how those individual users' experience is affected by the server. However, ExMon does not report all information about server health or user experience.
    For your issue, we can firstly use performance monitor to analyze it

3.We can check the following counters to confirm if it’s performance issue:
    MSExchangeIS\RPC Operations/sec, MSExchangeIS\RPC Requests and MSExchangeIS\RPC Averaged Latency
    For more information about the proper value of the above counters, you can refer to the following article:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc540464(v=exchg.80).aspx

If you have any issue, please feel free to let me know.
    Thanks,
    Angela

Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 9, 2013 3:45 AM

All replies

• Some more info regarding RPC readings with performance monitor.

MSExchangeIS\RPC Operations/Sec: Avg is ~130 with a Maximum of around 700.00

There is no pattern, it pretty much is constantly up and down with no unusual spikes.

MSExchangeIS\RPC Requests: Avg is .1 with a Maximum of 1

Very stable graph

MSExchangeIS\RPC Averaged Latency: Avg 2.45 with a Max of 3.0

again very stable

Are the RPC operations/Sec high?

Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, I’d like to say, it’s recommended to use cached mode in Outlook, which can reduce the performance issue. And here are my answers you can refer to:

1.Check your application log and find if there is 9646 error. And you can also refer to the following article: http://smallbusiness.support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/kb/174701

2.ExMon just enables administrators to view and analyze how individual users affect the health and performance of an Exchange server, including CPU usage and network traffic. It also .enables administrators to view and analyze how those individual users' experience is affected by the server. However, ExMon does not report all information about server health or user experience.
    For your issue, we can firstly use performance monitor to analyze it

3.We can check the following counters to confirm if it’s performance issue:
    MSExchangeIS\RPC Operations/sec, MSExchangeIS\RPC Requests and MSExchangeIS\RPC Averaged Latency
    For more information about the proper value of the above counters, you can refer to the following article:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc540464(v=exchg.80).aspx

If you have any issue, please feel free to let me know.
    Thanks,
    Angela

Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 9, 2013 3:45 AM