how can i Convert or View my .ost file to PST file RRS feed

• Question

• One of my friends has recently faced system corruption issue. She has already taken backup of all data in her laptop and then she scrapped that machine which means she is now unable to access that machine again. Now the question is she wanted me to restore her Mail's backup to her new machine but the main problem is that mail backup file is in .ost file format which I can't access without same MAPI Profile so please let me know Is there any other way to migrate this type of .ost file? Please help me out its a request please don't promote any type of third-party tool.

Monday, February 11, 2019 7:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Soniya

I am afraid there is no official recommended tool to convert OST to PST directly and Microsoft Outlook doesn’t support manually opening or importing items from an offline Outlook Data File (.ost).

Outlook Data Files (.ost) are used when you have an Exchange account and want to work offline or use or use the default Cached Exchange Mode. This type of data file is also used for accounts that you set up with the Outlook Connector for Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail). Outlook Data Files (.ost) are always copies of items that are saved on a mail server and don’t need to be backed up like Outlook Data Files (.pst). For more details, please refer to this article.

In this situation, it is suggested to exit Outlook desktop client and see if the data is still here on the web mail. If it is, please configure your account on the new machine then all your data would be here.
    However, if not, I am afraid that the data could not be restored anymore. 

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:20 AM

All replies

• Well nice try! But I already said that I don't need any paid or third party solution. This article is nice but it refers to a third party tool indirectly. Is there any other solution please suggest me as soon as possible.

Thanks in Advance

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:54 AM
  • Hi Soniya

I am afraid there is no official recommended tool to convert OST to PST directly and Microsoft Outlook doesn’t support manually opening or importing items from an offline Outlook Data File (.ost).

Outlook Data Files (.ost) are used when you have an Exchange account and want to work offline or use or use the default Cached Exchange Mode. This type of data file is also used for accounts that you set up with the Outlook Connector for Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail). Outlook Data Files (.ost) are always copies of items that are saved on a mail server and don’t need to be backed up like Outlook Data Files (.pst). For more details, please refer to this article.

In this situation, it is suggested to exit Outlook desktop client and see if the data is still here on the web mail. If it is, please configure your account on the new machine then all your data would be here.
    However, if not, I am afraid that the data could not be restored anymore. 

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:20 AM