HELP! - SCCM 2012 Primary Site Installation Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon All!

I'm installing SCCM 2012 onto a domain which had an SCCM 2007 installation a long time ago, but haven't for a couple of years.  I'm getting a couple of errors which I need help with, please.

The setup is x2 VMs - one for SCCM 2012 and the other for SQL (2008 SP1 CU9).  The SQL must be on 2008 SP1 CU9 as the database will be migrated to our cluster once it's upgraded.  The OS is 2008 R2 x64.

The Issue

So...  I start SCCM primary site installation and enter the first few choices including SQL specifics (i leave the instance name blank for default) - setup finds the sql server and allows me to go to the next step.  At the end of setup, it runs a final check before the actual installation.  I get a couple of common errors like WSUS and SQL memory, by then get one I've never seen and can't figure out...

"Site System to SQL Server Communication" WARNING (It lists my SCCM FQDN - not the SQL server's FQDN)

A communication error has been detected between the specified site system and the site database computer. This error can occur when the site database server is offline or if a valid SPN has not been registered in Active Directory Domain Services for the SQL Server instance hosting the site database. Setup cannot continue.

The log file had the following info.  The next 4 lines were each a separate entry (via Trace32)

<06-01-2012 14:41:09> ERROR: Connected to SQL Server but failed to execute query IF NOT EXISTS (select * from master.sys.server_principals where name='DOMAIN\SVRVSCCM02$') BEGIN CREATE LOGIN [DOMAIN\SVRSCCM02$] FROM WINDOWS; SELECT 1; END ELSE SELECT 0

<06-01-2012 14:41:09> save to ini file SQLCONNECT:SVRSCSQL01.domain.com.

<06-01-2012 14:41:15> ERROR: Failed to connect to SQL Server SVRSCCM02.domain.com.

<06-01-2012 14:41:17> SVRSCCM02.domain.com;    Site System to SQL Server Communication;    Warning;    A communication error has been detected between the specified site system and the site database computer. This error can occur when the site database server is offline or if a valid SPN has not been registered in Active Directory Domain Services for the SQL Server instance hosting the site database. Setup cannot continue.

What I've Tried So Far

- Checked Window's Firewall - At first, it was partially on.  I found that the servers were not in the correct OUs therefore not receiving the proper GPOs.  I moved them, updated GP, rebooted, verified the firewall was off completely (and it was on both)

- Ensured I have full rights (i do)

- Signed into Windows with account which has full rights to SQL (so I'm told - i didn't set the SQL box up)

Other Warnings in SCCM Setup

Below are the other Warnings thrown during installation scan.  Some are normal, but others may give clues...

- WSUS SDK on site server WARNING

- Verify site server permissions to publish to Active Directory WARNING

This is odd.  I even deleted the old System Management container, created a new one, and deligated the rights as I've done before many times.  I confirmed them a couple of times already too. 

- Configuration for SQL Server memory usage WARNING

- SQL Server process memory allocation WARNING

Please help!  I'd like to get this installed today so i may work on it this weekend - Thanks!

Ben K.

Friday, June 1, 2012 7:56 PM

Answers

• In general the other prereq warnings are typical if you have not setup up any memory allocations. The AD message indicates that either the System Management container doesn't exist yet or that you are using inherited permissions to convey the correct rights.

One thing to try would be to run the SQL query that failed directly on the SQL instance and see what happens on the SQL side. I have seen issues where we interpret a bad return code from a SQL query as a generic communication error.

Jason

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I assume you mean SQL Server 2008 SP2 with a minimum of Cumulative Update 9 and not SP1, which isn't supported.
    As the error message suggest I would check the SPN registration, here is an article on how to check that. SQL Server 2008 SP2 with a minimum of Cumulative Update 9

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't thinking - sorry.  It's actually 2008 Standard SP2 CU9 - just verified it.

Ben K.

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Hi Ben, did you also check the SPN records as Jörgen suggested?

Technet link for SPN, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb735885.aspx

Mats Hellman | My Blog: http://www.nixadmins.net| Twitter: Mats_Hellman | LinkedIn Mats Hellman |

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:18 PM
  • In general the other prereq warnings are typical if you have not setup up any memory allocations. The AD message indicates that either the System Management container doesn't exist yet or that you are using inherited permissions to convey the correct rights.

One thing to try would be to run the SQL query that failed directly on the SQL instance and see what happens on the SQL side. I have seen issues where we interpret a bad return code from a SQL query as a generic communication error.

Jason

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:52 PM