System powers down unexpectedly RRS feed

• Question

• Environment:  Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, x64, BIOS A13

Problem:  System gets really slow and powers down unexpectedly and randomly.  Not related to any particular event.

Event Log:  sometimes get Event id 37 - Kernel-processor power then Event id 41 - Kernel-power.

Ran system diagnostic and all hardware comes back as passed.

Tried installing KB979444 & KB983615 because these hotfixes represent my problem but when I attempted to install, message "The update is not applicable to your computer".  Don't know why it says Windows 7 fix.

Please help, this always happens when I'm doing something important or when system is just idle.

Thanks

Saturday, November 5, 2011 5:44 PM

All replies

• With the exception that my system is 32-bit, your problem and mine are identical.  This has been going on for about a month now and NOTHING seems to help.  I've tried the two fixes you mention and they just made it worse so I backed them out.  This afternoon I received 5 total power-downs within an hour.  Yesterday, the computer ran for almost 9 hours without a failure.

I've blown out the case, checked every voltage on the Mobo, run Aida64 Pro, checked RAM, checked the HD, and ran a stress test on the whole computer.  Nothing is indicated as to fault.  The computer simply powers down whenever it feels like it.  It is definitely not a heat problem because I let it sit all night and just after the desktop came alive, the computer powered down.

The PSU is a replacement of 475W from my original 250W.  There is a new video card (NVIDIA 8400 GS) with up-to-date drivers.  I can cause a failure every time by bringing up the Task Manager and trying to resize the window - BOOM - the computer powers down.  Any other window will resize just fine.

There is no rhyme or reason to these failures.  In my 48 years in IT, I've never had such a tough-dog as this one.

Bill

Monday, November 7, 2011 3:54 AM
  • Hi,

To address this  event ID 41 issue, Microsoft has published a knowledge base (KB) article:

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first".

Please refer the following link to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

For “Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power” issue, please update the BIOS firmware for the motherboard. If your motherboard supports Speedstep,  make sure Speedstep is enabled. Also check with your hardware manufacturer to determine if there are known compatibility issues with Windows 7. 

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Thanks for the response, but I have checked every condition under your KB reference and found them not to apply.  In most cases, the computer simply powers down.  There is no entry in the Event Log other than the one that tells me that the "previous shutdown was unexpected".  Well, gee whiz; I already KNEW that.

The computer came with Windows 7 and has been previously running for almost six months with no problems.  A month ago, it developed this shutdown.  I can surmise from this that the hardware WILL run Windows 7, just that something in the OS changed.

If I pull out the HDD and put in a UBUNTU HDD, the computer will run for days without a shutdown.  It has to be something in Windows 7 that is causing this, and it came in via the updates a month ago.

Bill

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:04 PM