none
Desktop not being redirected

Question

• Hello All,

For a long time now I've been using GPOs to redirect common folders to users' home directory. The folders I redirect are Documents, Pictures, Music, Desktop. It's always worked fine in the past but recently the Desktop redirection no longer seems to work for new users.

The Desktop redirection is setup to create a new folder in the person's home shared drive using %username%\desktop. This folder is not being created anymore for new users and therefore their desktop is not being redirected at all. The users have full control on their home share.

Documents, Pictures and Music folders are being redirected as expected.

The only thing that has changed is that I've added Server 2012 R2 DCs into the mix. Prior to that all DCs were running Server 2008 R2. I've tried all the suggestions I can find via google but nothing works. Does anybody have any insight to share on this one?

Without the desktop being redirected files are not backed up as efficiently as the users have a tendency to save to their desktop.

• Edited by tbradley87 Thursday, September 01, 2016 8:17 PM
    Thursday, September 01, 2016 8:16 PM

All replies

• What does eventvwr have to say about it? Check the application log as it might offer a clue.
    Thursday, September 01, 2016 8:49 PM
  • No errors in event viewer for this and when I run gpresult it does not display the desktop redirection as part of the gpo.
    Thursday, September 01, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I suggest you try to run gpresult /h C:\gpresult.html with the problematic user and post it to us to check if the desktop redirect setting applied to the user.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, September 04, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 19, 2016 3:02 AM