MDT 2010 + ConfigMgr 2007 SP2: Settings in Customsettings.ini not applied RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

i´ve been messing around with my windows 7 deployment for quite a while and don´t seem to get any further. Hopefully, someone can help me understand how to get things going.

I intend to create a single tasksequence that is able to deploy Notebooks and PC´s as well, with two different languages. I use IsDesktop/IsLaptop to determine the hardwaretype and a custom collectionvariable "OSEnglish" during OSD Tasksequence to determine which language is to be installed.

Therefore, i altered my Customsettings.ini and inserted Subsections that provide the needed language-settings:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default, ByType,
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y

DoCapture=NO

ComputerBackupLocation=NONE

BDEInstallSuppress=YES

SkipLocaleSelection=YES

UILanguage=de-DE

UserLocale=de-DE

KeyboardLocale=0407:00000407

TimeZone=110

TimeZoneName=W. Europe Standard Time

[ByType]
    Subsection=English-%OSEnglish%

[English-YES]
    UILanguage=en-US

UserLocale=en-US

KeyboardLocale=0409:00000409

[English-NO]
    UILanguage=de-DE

UserLocale=de-DE

KeyboardLocale=0407:00000407

My question is: is it possible to change the OS language by variables? I have tried several times, the settings are not applied during OS application. The BDD.log shows the right informations but it seems like the "apply operating system" step simply doesn´t care about my settings.

Thanks for any help

Andreas

• Changed type Bischofa Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:06 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 1:55 PM

Answers

• In SCCM, did you create an MDT task Sequence? and as usual, what does the log point to? Can you load your logs from the target machine somewhere an point us to it?
    -- Get it: http://www.truesec.com/deploymentcd http://www.amazon.com/Deployment-Fundamentals-Vol-Migrating-Windows/dp/1451570031/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301091117&sr=8-1 And get out of the deployment swamp
    • Marked as answer by Bischofa Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:08 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 6:57 PM

All replies

• In SCCM, did you create an MDT task Sequence? and as usual, what does the log point to? Can you load your logs from the target machine somewhere an point us to it?
    -- Get it: http://www.truesec.com/deploymentcd http://www.amazon.com/Deployment-Fundamentals-Vol-Migrating-Windows/dp/1451570031/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301091117&sr=8-1 And get out of the deployment swamp
    • Marked as answer by Bischofa Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:08 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Hi Shrek,

i did create a MDT task sequence to capture the reference image (cs.ini with DOCapture=YES). Afterwards, i created a second task sequence with a new settings package for deployment. What i don´t understand is where the ts applies the settings from cs.ini to the unattend.xml. Do i need a unattend.xml file in the deployment settings package for the apply operating system step? Atm i run it in the following order:

1. Reboot to PE
    2. Format Disks
    3. Use Toolkit Package
    4. Gather Customsettings.ini
    5. Run Commandline zticonfigure   > zticonfigure applies cs.ini settings to unattend.xml, right? But which one?
    6. Apply captured OS Image using Custom Settings Package´s unattend.xml file

My BDD.log says:

Loaded C:\Windows\panther\unattend\unattend.xml

Merge specified, but C:\_SMSTaskSequence\WDPackage\Control\\Unattend.xml wasn't found, unable to merge

At the moment, i have a unattend.xml file in the MDT 2010 Files package .\Control\ folder, which sets Inputlocale, Userlocale, Systemlocale and UILanguage to de-DE. Additionally, i added the same unattend.xml file to my MDT 2010 Deployment settings packages, same language settings. I removed the Sections in my cs.ini, only giving the parameters UILanguage, UserLocale and KeyboardLocale. But after windows-installation, i still get a Screen to choose my language. Seems like the ts simply ignores all my settings.

which lofiles would you need for further examination?

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:56 AM