Slow Access to Shares RRS feed

• Question

• Windows server 2008 - sp1
    XP -sp3 clients

Brand new very basic server installation.  File, DNS, DHCP and AD on this box for a small school.
    When clients sit idle and then try to reconnect to shared drives (home or otherwise) they are forced to endure a 15-30 second wait while the shares contents are dsiplayed.

Thought it could be a network card issue, however during the wait I can instantly get command line access to the "s:" drive as well as it contents accessing at a very nice speed.

Once share's contents are displayed all seems fine till a random time out length is reached.

No errors to speak of either on the client or server

any help would be appreciated -
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:05 PM

Answers

• UNfourtunatly this didn't cover it: but i did unearth a little more.

Most (maybe all) of the problems seem to be tied to machines using the Intel 1000CT network card (on board) - these are the only machine that exhibit the issues - Still seems to be tied to the network card but only in it's interaction with Explorer (not command line)
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:48 AM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

try this command on the windows 2008 server:

NET CONFIG SERVER /AUTODISCONNECT:time

time is the number of minutes before disconnection occurs (idle time). By default it is 15 minutes. if you set it to -1 then it you will turn autodisconnect off. Hope this helps.

Dany
    • Proposed as answer by danissa Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:03 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by dparker Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:16 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:31 PM
  • UNfourtunatly this didn't cover it: but i did unearth a little more.

Most (maybe all) of the problems seem to be tied to machines using the Intel 1000CT network card (on board) - these are the only machine that exhibit the issues - Still seems to be tied to the network card but only in it's interaction with Explorer (not command line)
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:48 AM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:18 PM