Excessive paging, low memory usage, very slow computer RRS feed

• Question

• Window 7 Pro 64 bit, fully patched

Well equipped, 8 GB RAM, 7200 RPM drive, Core i5 processor

Performance log can be found at

http://tinyurl.com/k38fdbm

I have a user who is having incredibly bad performance on a decently equipped Dell OptiPlex desktop. Not top of the line, but still decent. The memory isn't being fully utilized, the processor is bored. Can anyone give some insight as to why this would be paging so heavily?  Or perhaps I am reading the log incorrectly and something else is my problem.

SeaTools reports that the hard drive is fine.

Thanks

Mind IT

Friday, April 11, 2014 8:50 PM

Answers

• MIT

Three processes are accounting for about 80% of the HD issue.  They are SMC.exe (sygate), Photoshop, and Chrome.  Sygate accounts for about the first half of the time Photoshop about 35% and Chrome 15%.

I would switch to a different firewall/Malware, Not load photoshop at start up and if the problem persists try a different browser.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:07 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:40 PM

All replies

• Mind IT

You might want to have him run a windows performance toolkit trace with the following params

Open a CMD prompt with administrative rights (right click it>run as admin) and run this command for 60 secs to capture the high HD usage: 

xperf -on PROC_THREAD+LOADER+CSWITCH+FILENAME+FILE_IO+FILE_IO_INIT+DISK_IO+DISK_IO_INIT+DRIVERS+PROFILE
    -f kernel.etl -stackwalk Profile+CSwitch+DiskReadInit+DiskWriteInit+DiskFlushInit+FileCreate+FileCleanup+FileClose+FileRead+FileWrite -BufferSize
    1024 -MaxBuffers 1024 -MaxFile 1024 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d XperfSlowIOcir.etl

When complete, zip the trace & upload it to skydrive (or some other file sharing service) and put a link to it in your next post.

Friday, April 11, 2014 10:54 PM
  • Ok, I will do so, thanks.

Did you get a chance to look at the performance logs collected? Any thoughts?

Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:34 PM
  • MIT

I did glance at them but since I cant do any analysis and since WPT lets you open multiple vectors at the same time and compare them I will wait on it.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:43 PM
  • Do you want me to do the WPT trace and a corresponding Performance Counter log at the same time? Or do you just want the WPT?
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:52 PM
  • MIT

Good question.  I would run just WPT (dont want perfmon skewing the results).  I am not sure if running them together would affect the results.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:05 PM
  • I have the user all set up to collect the xperf data. Next time she encounters the slowness she will initiate the trace and get back to me. Thanks for your continued help.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:15 PM
  • www.minditservices.com/downloads/XperfSlowIOcir.zip

Here is the Xperf file. Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Thanks

Mind IT

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:01 PM
  • Any update on a possible explanation?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:34 PM
  • MIT

Three processes are accounting for about 80% of the HD issue.  They are SMC.exe (sygate), Photoshop, and Chrome.  Sygate accounts for about the first half of the time Photoshop about 35% and Chrome 15%.

I would switch to a different firewall/Malware, Not load photoshop at start up and if the problem persists try a different browser.

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:07 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:40 PM