Problem with Windows 10 1703 start menu using group policy. RRS feed

• Question

• I have deployed Windows 10 1607 with a customised start menu layout to over 500 laptops and desktops without a problem utilising group policy which is configured for clients to get the custom layout xml file via unc path.  I chose this method because I liked the idea of controlling the start menu via group policy so as our Tier 1 applications change over time, a centrally managed solution to making changes to users start menu was appealing.  I now wish I didn't do this.

After upgrading from 1607 to 1703 via SCCM Operating System Upgrade Package, I have experienced the following problems with the start menu which was brought to my attention from my pilot group:

1. User first logs on to 1703 and has lost all of their user pinned icons but the customised group policy start menu is present.
    2. The user then re-customises the start menu and then if the computer or laptop is disconnected from the network, when the user logs back on, the user pinned icons and group policy start menu is replaced with a Windows 10 default start menu.
    3. If the user connects to the network and logs back on, the customised start menu from group policy returns along with the default Windows 10 start menu but the user pinned apps are missing again.

Windows 10 1607 with Customised start menu via group policy and user pinned apps:

User logs onto computer that has been upgraded to 1703 via SCCM task sequence using Operating System Upgrade Package and all the user pinned apps have been removed:

The user re-pins the apps and then if the user tries to log onto the computer when not connected to the network (not on the domain), the user pinned apps and group policy start menu have been replaced with a default Windows start menu.  Most of the apps don't have icons because a task sequence step removed the excess un-wanted apps during the upgrade.  This was also done when building the 1607 OS:

The user then re-pins apps to the start menu again but when connecting back onto the network and logging back on, the user pinned apps are removed again and the customised start menu along with the default Windows 10 start menu is applied again:

This is very frustrating.  I have searched quite a bit to find a solution to this problem with no success.

It should be noted that none of these problems existed with Windows 10 1607.

The same group policy is being applied to 1607 and 1703 computers.

I have updated the ADMX files in the Central Store for group policy to the 1703 version.

The Windows 10 1703 event viewer does report an error when the user logs on with no network "The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity..."  This is pretty obvious but shouldn't be destroying the start menu in my opinion.

Windows 10 1703 version is 15063.483 and fully patched.

The task sequence PowerShell script to remove excess apps in 1607 and 1703 during the build/upgrade is the same one from Michael Niehaus version 1.2:

The group policy custom layout file extract:

The custom layout xml file was created using Windows 10 Start Layout Customisation document.

I suspect something has changed with Windows 10 1703 on how it deals with the start menu being controlled via group policy but I haven't been able to work out how to fix this.

Ideally, I would like it if user could perform an in-place upgrade from Windows 10 1607 to 1703 without them losing their start menu customisation.

Has anyone experienced this problem or able to suggest a fix for it?

Thank you.

Ron Cullen
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Australia

• Edited by Ron Cullen Friday, July 21, 2017 3:23 AM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 3:18 AM

All replies

• I have an option but the down will be users can edit the startmenu and you would have to "not configure" the start menu via gpo. 

Change CorporateApps.xml to CorporateApps.bin
    Then use PowerShell to import… you should see changes after a reboot... 

PS Ex:
     Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath "\\server\share\defaultlayout.bin" -MountPath $env:SystemDrive\

Friday, July 21, 2017 7:08 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issue. I have a ticket open with Microsoft but have not received a resolution yet, only that they can reproduce. This is holding up our upgrade from v1607 to v1703, especially the part about the start menu reverting back to default!
    Friday, July 21, 2017 1:03 PM
  • Thank you for your suggestion.

If it works for me, I'm happy to allow users to edit the start menu.

I'll give that a try.

Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:35 PM
  • Thank you for letting me know that it's happening elsewhere. I thought I was going crazy there for a while.

This is also holding up our upgrade from 1607 to 1703.

I was also going to submit a ticket to Microsoft depending on what information I may have received via this forum.

Also, I am thinking about submitting this question to Microsoft's "Ask Microsoft Anything" which is happening on Tuesday June 25th from 9:00-10:00 am Pacific Time but unfortunately, that is 2:00-3:00 am my time :-(

I'm going to try HollywoodRDFL's suggestion to see what happens.

• Edited by Ron Cullen Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:43 PM
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:42 PM
  • Any updates?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 7:37 AM
  • Yes, HollywoodRDFL's suggestion of renaming the xml file to a bin file seemed to work.

After performing an in-place-upgrade from 1607 to 1703 using a SCCM Task Sequence and Operating System Upgrade Package and importing the start layout with the bin file, logging back onto the laptop or desktop when not on the network/domain, retained the user pinned apps and the customized start menu :-)

I wanted to be sure the process worked properly before I uploaded the steps I performed.

The Corporate Applications are no longer controlled by group policy and I am using a WMI query on the group policy object to disable it for 1703 builds.  

I will follow up with more information once I am absolutely sure this works and if I detect any unwanted side effects.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:32 AM
  • Oops, I'm sorry to say that the renaming of the xml file to bin file has not worked as good as I thought.

There is still a problem with Windows 10 1703 when the existing user logs onto the freshly upgraded laptop or desktop, the user pinned start page apps are removed.

My previous test (post) was flawed because the test account that I was using had been exempt from receiving the start menu group policy layout from the beginning.

Extensive testing with multiple accounts and multiple laptops and desktops has shown that any user pinned icons are deleted after the in-place upgrade to 1703.  I ensured the devices were fully patched as of this date.

The good news is that importing the bin file during the upgrade process and then not using group policy start menu on Windows 10 1703, the start menu is not destroyed when the user logs off/on when not on the network or domain.  As long as the users have taken a screen capture of what apps they have pinned before the upgrade, at least they can re-pin them after the upgrade.

I believe this is not acceptable from Microsoft and more work needs to be done in this area.

jpewterbaugh, have you heard anything back from the ticket that was submitted?

• Edited by Ron Cullen Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:29 AM
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:28 AM
  • No, they are escalating to a senior engineer. I am able to recreate your success, importing the start menu layout and not using group policy allows the start menu to stay put when off the network. As was mentioned previously the downside is the user will be able to modify the start menu (instead of it being partially locked down). That's a bummer about the user customization being removed after the v1607 -> v1703 upgrade, I was planning on testing that today!
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please check the start menu template. For Windows 10 1703, you should use DesktopApplicationID rather than DesktopApplicationLinkPath if you are using Group Policy or MDM to apply the start layout and the application was installed after the user's first sign-in.

Start layout XML for desktop editions of Windows 10 (reference)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/start-layout-xml-desktop#specify-start-tiles

Meanwhile, after sign in back from re-connect the network, please remember to run gpupdate /force command to apply the latest group policy configuration.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:22 AM
  • Thanks Karen_Hu.  I'll have a look at that and post my results.

All of my applications are installed during OS build and none are installed after the user first signs in.

I used the Powershell Command to create my StartLayout file which follows:

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
      <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />
      <DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups">
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6">
            <start:Group Name="Corporate Applications">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Excel 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Word 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Skype for Business 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\HPE Content Manager\HPE Content Manager Desktop.lnk" />
            </start:Group>
            <start:Group Name="Utilities">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Control Panel.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Command Prompt.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft System Center\Configuration Manager\Software Center.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" />
          </defaultlayout:StartLayout>
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

Friday, July 28, 2017 2:10 AM
  • Just as the document, change “DesktopApplicationLinkPath” to “DesktopApplicationID”.

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
      <DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups">
        <StartLayoutCollection>
            <start:Group Name="Corporate Applications">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Excel 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Word 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Skype for Business 2016.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\HPE Content Manager\HPE Content Manager Desktop.lnk" />
            <start:Group Name="Utilities">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Control Panel.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Command Prompt.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft System Center\Configuration Manager\Software Center.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" />
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>

Friday, July 28, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Hello Karen_Hu,

I'm sorry to say that your suggestion of changing from DesktopApplicationLinkPath to DesktopApplicationID in the Group Policy Start Layout Modification XML file did not work.

Actually, it made things worse.  I will detail what and how I tested:

I started with a Windows 10 1607 computer that uses group policy to apply our corporate tier 1 applications. As I mentioned earlier, this is how we deployed to our whole organisation of over 500 clients and the first image in my first post is a representative screen capture.  The existing 1607 start menu XML file contains DesktopApplicationLinkPath values and the group policy references the XML file on a DFS share \\server\share\CorporateApplications.xml.

My 1607 start menu group policy has a WMI filter on it so it only applies to 1607 computers and earlier.

I created a another group policy and start menu XML file and changed the values to DesktopApplicationID. This new group policy has WMI filtering so only 1703 computers and higher will get it applied.  The 1703 start menu layout XML file is being shared on a DFS share \\server\share-1703\CorporateApplications.xml.  

I need to do this as I need to work out a solution of upgrading our existing fleet from 1607 to 1703 with minimum disruption to our clients including their personal customization of their start menu.

After performing an in-place upgrade from 1607 to 1703 using SCCM 2012 Operating System Upgrade Package Task Sequence, when the user logs on, they are presented with the following start menu:

As you can see, no start menu applications are now displayed.  The 1703 group policy start menu has not worked and the users pinned applications are also removed.

I have manually run gpupdate for the user and also gpresult to confirm the group policies are being applied correctly. Following is an excertp from gpresult:

I would be appreciate if you have any more suggestions or if you need more information from me, I am happy to provide it.

I can't believe that this is so hard. I noticed that Microsoft have now officially announced that 1703 is now ready for deployment for businesses.  How can that be if other people are reporting that they are experiencing the same problem with the start menu and Microsoft are able to reproduce the problem?

Thank you.

Ron.

Monday, July 31, 2017 12:43 AM
  • I have been having the same issues (thread here) .  I have concluded the following 3 items when a Start Menu xml GPO is used:

- The Start Menu is no longer cached: If a user logs onto the business network, the GPO processes the start menu .xml and loads what it can.  HOWEVER, if the user physically logs in from somewhere else (ie. home, hotel, etc...), the start menu is not cached, and a mess of arrows loads instead.

- The Start Menu does not handle multiple entries like it used to:  If you have multiple tile entries (ie. Office 2013 and Office 2016), before the 1703 update it used to display what was installed.  Now, it does not appear to be handling multiple entries well anymore.

- The cells may not line up properly anymore.  I don't know if it is because there may be areas reserved for "suggested apps" or what.

Overall, this needs to be fixed.  We are using Windows 10 "Professional", but the Creators Update is not thoroughly tested like the Anniversary Update.

Monday, July 31, 2017 9:52 PM
  • Hello RPC_IT,

Thank you for your comments and feedback.  I have thought it has something to do with how group policy for the the start menu has changed with 1703 and your suggestion that it is no longer being cached makes sense.

I am waiting for comments from the moderator Karen_Hu to decide on what my next course of action will be and may end up submitting a Premier Support Call with Microsoft.

Cheers,

Ron.

Monday, July 31, 2017 11:50 PM
  • Hi Ron,

It's really thank you for your detailed steps.

I build an SCCM environment with 1607 and then upgrade to Windows 10 1703. I get the same result as yours.

I would submit this feedback via our own channel.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:47 AM
  • Thank you Karen.

I have submitted a Premier Support Call with Microsoft and they are going to investigate this matter further.

Notwithstanding any non disclosure, I will share the findings when they are available to this forum to help other people if possible.

Cheers,

Ron.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:54 AM
  • Hey Ron Cullen,

Karen was on the right track. I've got it working.

There is one more step you need to do in order to get the "DesktopApplicationID" part to work,... you have to actually enter the DesktopApplicationID.

IE: As per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/start-layout-xml-desktop run the Get-StartApps cmdlet to get a list of the correct ID's:

Outlook 2016   =   Microsoft.Office.OUTLOOK.EXE.16

Word 2016       =   {7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office16\WINWORD.EXE

Notepad           =   {1AC14E77-02E7-4E5D-B744-2EB1AE5198B7}\notepad.exe

So your XML file entry should look like: 

<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office16\WINWORD.EXE" />

Don't use the %variable%\path version on 1703. 

Here is my XML file as an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <LayoutModificationTemplate
     xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification"
     xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout"
     xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout"
     xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout"
     Version="1">
        <StartLayoutCollection>
            <start:Group Name="Useful">
              <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default" />
        <start:Tile Size="1x1" Column="2" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsMaps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
              <start:Tile Size="1x1" Column="2" Row="1" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
              <start:Tile Size="4x2" Column="2" Row="2" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
        <start:Tile Size="1x1" Column="3" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Windows.ContactSupport_cw5n1h2txyewy!App" />
        <start:Tile Size="1x1" Column="3" Row="1" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.Getstarted_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
        <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="Chrome" />
            <start:Group Name="Business">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office16\ONENOTE.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Office.OUTLOOK.EXE.16" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office16\WINWORD.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office16\lync.exe" />
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
      <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace">
        <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
          <taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
            <taskbar:UWA AppUserModelID="Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge" />
      <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
            <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" />
      <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2016.lnk" />
      </taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
        </defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
      </CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>

You still have to use "DesktopApplicationLinkPath" in the taskbar section though if you're configuring it.

However, even after getting the icons to now display correctly I also find that if I remove the policy, (which loads the default icons again) and then re-apply the policy that it applies the partial icon sections at the top, leaves the default icons below that and still removes any user added icons. Not ideal...

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 4:26 AM
  • Hi All,

i was having the same problems on 1703. If users pinned icons, next offline logon would remove them and no way of getting them back. Did some test copying the Modification Layout XML to a local path (%programdata%\microsoft\windows) and pointed the Start Menu gpo to it. Now even if the user is offline it can find the file and the pinned items are not being lost anymore.

MCSE Messaging, Productivity & Mobile MCSA Windows 8, 10, 2012 & Office 365 MCTS SCCM 2007 & 2012

Thursday, August 10, 2017 5:01 AM
  • Hello Jose,

Your solution has been the best result so far :-)

I did try something similar to this earlier but I copied the XML file to a different location and it didn't seem to work very well.  I'm thinking now that the %programdata%\microsoft\windows folder might be the correct place for these types of files as per your suggestion.

My testing showed that the user still loses their pinned applications after the upgrade but after they have been re-pinned, they stay there even when logging off and back on when offline.

So, depending on the result of the Microsoft Premier Support ticket,  we may adopt this process but our clients will suffer some pain.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 7:10 AM
  • My scenario differs: I created an XML from a working desktop, moved it to the scripts folder in MDT and I copy it to the target pc in a Task Sequence step. This worked fine in 1607, without having to use GPO. Users could add/delete to the menu as they wish, after getting the default/custom menu.
    If so many changes have to happen for 1703, how does one use one XML file for both 1607 and 1703 together? We have some getting one OS, some another, while using one system file called layoutmodofication.xml
    Monday, September 18, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Good news everyone :-)

I have been advised by Microsoft that they have been busy working on the code to fix this problem and if no other issues are found during test phase, they are planning to release the fix along with the October Rollup :-)

So, it will be back to the start to thoroughly test upgrading from 1607 to 1703 for me to see what happens.

the1rickster, maybe you can test again if the fix is in the October Rollup?  Also, when you copy the XML file during your TS step, do you copy it to the location specified by José Luiz Schenardie?

Cheers,

Ron.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:12 AM
  • Are you referring to the next set of Windows Updates MS will release?
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:31 PM
  • Hi the1rickster,

From what I understand, yes. October updates as long as no other issues are found during their testing phase.

Cheers,

Ron

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:40 PM
  • I see the location he is referring to. Since AD GPO can only apply a menu freshly every day (which wipes out users changes), I am copying my custom XML layout to Windows\temp, then using a PS script to run an Import of the XML and this seems to be working fine for now. Hopefully GPO can take ownership of this next month.
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:08 PM
  • Microsoft have informed me that the fix for the start menu problem should be included in this month's cumulative update for 1703.

KB4041676 can be downloaded from https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB4041676

Happy testing everyone :-)

Cheers,

Ron.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:31 PM
  • STOP PRESS

I have just received notification that there are problems with  KB4041676 so hold of your testing until more information is provided from Microsoft.

With the time zone difference from Australia to everyone else, hopefully everyone is still in bed sleeping and not had the chance to test out this CU :-)

Cheers,

Ron.

• Proposed as answer by the1rickster Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:53 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 4:30 AM
  • Hi Ron,

After having applied and tested KB4041676 I can conclude that:

Start menu is still not applied according to our exported .xml (with GPO), but it seems like the task bar commands in the same .xml is working...

Can you share the latest information you received from Microsoft?

Cheers,

Magnus

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:06 AM
  • Hello Magnus,

Thank you for your feedback.  I will forward that onto my Premier Support contact at Microsoft.

Microsoft passed on more information regarding the perceived problem they experienced regarding the October CU KB4041676.

Apparently, they noticed a boot issue problem but it only happened when the patch was pushed from SCCM.

I haven't had the chance to test the CU myself but I will make sure I don't deploy it via SCCM for the time being.

Cheers,

Ron.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 11:47 PM
  • Hey Magnus,

A question from Microsoft to you:

"Before we setup our own lab, is it possible to let me know the Magnus’s reproduce step please? Then I can verify and followed his steps to see if I can reproduce the issue locally. Thanks!"

Did you want to post your steps here?

Cheers,

Ron.

Monday, October 16, 2017 3:49 AM
  • This issue is solved with cumulative update from October 10, 2017—KB4041676 or newer.
    • Proposed as answer by LMichel Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:45 AM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:45 AM