none
Replica Creation failed: cannot find the file specified 80070002 RRS feed

• Question

• Type:	Replica creation
    Description:	DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for
     \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy629\Program Files\Microsoft\
    Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group\Mailbox Database.edb on mailserver.domain.local
     (ID 2033 Details: The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002))
    	More information
    End time:	12/13/2010 4:55:33 PM
    Start time:	12/13/2010 4:40:13 PM
    Time elapsed:	00:15:20
    Data transferred:	17,106.19 MB
    Cluster node	-
    Source details:	First Storage Group
    Protection group:	Primary

On the protected server, E:\ is a 220GB volume with 15GB free
    Shadow copies is turned on for that volume, but I was running out of space (had only 4GB free) so I set the shadow copies to take only 500MB instead of 10GB. "Next run time" was set to disabled and used shadow copy space was 0 bytes.
    I'm not sure shadow copies even needs to be enabled on this volume since all it has on it is an exchange storage group.
    I actually have two additional volumes that are set identically as far as total capacity and shadow copies goes and they are backing up in DPM just fine. I'm backing up the storage groups and the volume they are on.

It seems like the DPM server is looking for a shadow copy that no longer exists on the protected server's shadow volume. How do I force DPM just to get a current snapshot of the volume instead of looking at the (invalid?) shadow copy?

(sidenote: I'm not putting this in exchange forum because it seems to be more related to the filesystem/shadow volume than exchange, but feel free to move if needed)

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think its because of you setting to 500MB that is causing the problem. Please increase to a little more say 5 GB and you will get a successful backup.

In your system, the DPM is taking a fresh snapshot for backup, but by the time the shadow copy is read fully, the space required by snapshot reaches 500GB and due to that the fresh snapshot is getting deleted and hence you see the file not found error.

I guess this volume has much more churn compared to other volumes and hence only this volume has this problem.

Thanks,
    Arun

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:34 PM